11.Describe a new skill you would like to learn.
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 83 – Topic: Describe A Movie You Recently Watched
- 55 NEW IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics for IELTS Exam (September – December, 2016) & Band 8.0 Sample Answers
- IELTS Speaking Part 3 Topic: A Special Meal & Model Answers
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 75 – Topic: Describe a Game/ Sport
- IELTS CUE CARD 56 – TOPIC: A CHARACTER IN A MOVIE/TV PROGRAM
You should say:
what skill (= what you would like to learn to do)
where you would learn it (or, where you think would be the best place
to learn it)
how difficult you think it would be
and explain why you would like to learn this skill.
Band 8.5 Model Answer:
I’d like to talk about a new skill that I want to learn. I’m the kind of adventurous person who enjoys the challenge of learning new things, whether it is a new sport or a skill that would be useful to me.
I would like to have the skills to set up my own website. Probably the best place to learn to do this would be online, using a distance-learning course run by a university, which I could take free of charge. I wouldn’t need to travel and I could complete the course at my own pace in my spare time.
Although there would be a lot to learn, I already use computers all the time, so I think that I could pick up the basics quite quickly. With practice, I would become more creative and able to incorporate new features on my website.
Of course, I imagine that I would find the course interesting, but I have a practical reason for wanting to master this skill. I have recently started my own company, selling sports goods, so it would be a really cost-effective and attractive way to advertise my products.
- adventurous: [adjective] willing to take risks and try new ideas.
Example: My friend is very adventurous and she loves to try the local cuisine when we travel to other countries.
- challenge: [noun] a new or difficult task that tests someone’s ability or skill.
Example: It will be a big challenge to pass my final exams.
- set up: [phrasal verb] create or start something.
Example: The government has set up a new clinic in the city centre.
- distance learning: [noun] a system of education where people study at home with the help of special Internet sites, and e-mail work to their teachers.
Example: Although he lives in the countryside, he is able to take a distance learning course to qualify as an engineer.
- at my own pace: [expression] at the speed which is best for me.
Example: She prefers to study alone, so that she can work at her own pace.
- pick up: [phrasal verb] get information or a skill quite easily, without too much work.
Example: I picked up a lot of English during my visit to New York.
- creative: [adjective] able to use skill and imagination to produce something new.
Example: The advertising company employs a creative team to think of new ideas and designs.
- incorporate: [verb] to include something, so that it then forms part of something else.
Example: The teacher incorporates music into his English lessons, to make them more enjoyable.
- master: [verb] learn or understanding something completely.
Example: I was never able to master the French language when I was at school.
- cost-effective: [adjective] giving the best possible results for the money and time spent on something.
Example: Using more security cameras in public places is a cost-effective way to reduce crime.
- attractive: [adjective] having features or qualities that make something seem interesting or pleasant.
Example: My flat is opposite some attractive gardens, which are full of trees and flowers.
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- Get IELTS Band 9 In Writing Task 1 Data Charts and Graphs (Ebook) - August 29, 2017
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 1 – Process & Sample Answers - August 2, 2017
- IELTS Writing Actual Tests in 2013 & Band 8.0+ Sample Essays - August 1, 2017