12.Describe an interesting public place in your hometown, or where you are living now, that you like to go to
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 83 – Topic: Describe A Movie You Recently Watched
- 55 NEW IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics for IELTS Exam (September – December, 2016) & Band 8.0 Sample Answers
- 2017 IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Dream with Model Answers
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics & Questions (September – December 2017)
- IELTS Speaking Part 3 Topic: A Special Meal & Model Answers
You should say:
where it is
how often you go there
what you do there
and explain why you think it is interesting.
Band 8.5 Model Answer:
Today, Im going to share with you an interesting public place where I really enjoy going to to hang out with my close friends in my spare time, which is a lovely café named The Hanoi Social Club.
It is situated at Hoi Vu alley – a small quiet lane near Hang Bong street in the centre of my hometown. The coffee house is decorated in an old, traditional French style, with a lot of paintings on the wall, and it attracts a lot of foreign customers. As a full-time student, I have been so caught up in my studies, therefore, I just take a day off to go there on weekends after a long stressful week.
There are many live music events taking place there performed by acoustic guitarists, so I often check them out on the internet and come with my friends. Because this type of music is my kind of thing, I am in my element just humming the tune of the songs and relaxing in a comfy chair to enjoy myself.
The fast food tastes quite savoury and especially the coffee in The Hanoi Social Club is always irresistibly delicious. That might be the reason why it was ranked among the top 5 best coffee shops in Vietnam in 2015. What I really love is how cozy the atmosphere is, something which I have not found in any other coffee shop yet.
Whenever things go wrong, I often go there as a hideaway to escape from all the pressures and order a cup of coffee to relieve my stress. It always works wonders. I find it extremely therapeutic and soothing. Therefore, it’s more than likely that I will still keep coming back to it as my favourite place in the near future.
- hang out: [phrasal verb] spend time in a particular place.
Example: I sometimes hang out at the shopping mall on Sundays and meet up with my friends.
- lane: [noun] a narrow street in a city, with buildings on both sides.
Example: The lane behind the museum will take you directly to the train station.
- decorate: [verb] make something more attractive.
Example: Her living room is always decorated with flowers.
- caught up: [phrasal verb] involved in a concentrated way, so that you forget other things around you.
Example: I was so caught up in the film that I forgot to feed the cat.
- acoustic: [adjective] designed to make natural sound, not sound produced by electrical equipment.
Example: Artists who play traditional music usually use acoustic instruments, copying the way in which the music was originally played.
- in my element: [expression] doing what I enjoy.
Example: I am really in my element at parties, because I love dancing and mixing with friends.
- hum: [verb] sing a tune with your lips closed.
Example: He began humming along to the music.
- comfy: [adjective]
Example: This new jacket isn’t as comfy as my old one.
- irresistibly: [adverb] in a way that is so strong that it cannot be stopped.
Example: Romeo and Juliet in Shakespeare’s play were two young lovers who were irresistibly attracted to each other.
- cozy: [adjective] warm and comfortable and safe, often used to refer to something small.
Example: I felt cozy and relaxed sitting by the fire.
- hideaway: [noun] a place where you can go to be alone.
Example: He escapes to his hideaway in the country at weekends.
- relieve: [verb] remove or reduce an unpleasant feeling or pain.
Example: To relieve his feeling of guilt, he decided to tell the truth to the police.
- work wonders: [expression] have a very good effect on someone or something.
Example: If you have a bad cold, a hot lemon drink at night works wonders.
- therapeutic: [adjective] helping you to relax.
Example: I find that yoga is very therapeutic, and I always feel better after my yoga class.
- soothing: [adjective] that makes someone who is anxious or stressed, feel better.
Example: The doctor has such a soothing voice that his patients feel relaxed immediately.
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS WRITING TASK 1 IN 2017 WITH SAMPLE ANSWERS - November 29, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Aging Population & Model Answers - November 29, 2017
- IELTS Writing Actual Test in November 2017 & Model Answers - November 25, 2017