14.Describe a time when you tried a new food for the first time.
- 55 NEW IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics for IELTS Exam (September – December, 2016) & Band 8.0 Sample Answers
- IELTS Cue Card Sample 75 – Topic: Describe a Game/ Sport
- IELTS CUE CARD 56 – TOPIC: A CHARACTER IN A MOVIE/TV PROGRAM
- 33 New Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 from September to December 2016
- IELTS Speaking Lessons
You should say:
what food it was
where you ate it
what it tasted like
and explain whether or not you liked this food
Band 8.5 Model Answer for IELTS Speaking Part 2
Well, I’m a great fan of barbecues and I would like to talk about the first time I tried some typical barbecue food. This happened when I was 10 years old.
My familiy went out to have dinner to celebrate my younger sister’s birthday. After putting so much thought into some new savoury food to have for our meal, we decided to go to a BBQ restautant on Ba Trieu street.
We ordered four dishes with three different tastes. One of them which really interested me was grilled-Australian beef, flavoured with something spicy, rich and aromatic. It not only tasted delicious, but also looked appealing. Also, it went well with two kinds of dipping sauces and was served with baguettes. There was also a salad, which gave it a mild taste to contrast with the spicy flavours.
The idea of a barbecue originated in America, and for us it was a novel and sophisticated meal.
What I really enjoyed was that we could watch as it was cooked in front of us. I loved how juicy it was and the aroma it had. Just mentioning it makes my mouth water. I mean, the BBQ was out of this world. That was the first time I had tried it, and I would have liked to have kept on coming back for more, but I was just too full.
- barbecues: [noun] a meal, usually eaten outdoors, which is cooked over an open fire.
Example: Every summer, my friends and I have barbecues on the beach and we each bring some beef or other meat to grill.
- put thought into: [expression] considered seriously and carefully.
Example: I put so much thought into my school project that I received a very high score.
- savoury: [adjective] having a delicious taste, usually containing salt.
Example: We ate some tasty savoury biscuits with cheese to finish our meal.
- dish: [noun] food prepared in a particular way as part of a meal.
Example: Our meal arrived at the table – two dishes of meat, with rice and salad.
- flavour: [verb] add to food to give it a special taste.
Example: The fish was flavoured with spices and it tasted delicious.
- aromatic: [adjective] having a pleasant smell or aroma.
Example: She grows a number of aromatic plants in her garden.
- dipping sauces: [noun] different types of sauces in which you can put your food quickly, take the food out again and eat it.
Example: The chef flavours his dipping sauces with different spices – some sweet spices and some hot ones.
- baguettes: [noun] white bread in the shape of long sticks.
Example: The cheese baguettes which we ordered were hard on the outside and soft on the inside.
- mild: [adjective] not strong or severe.
Example: I prefer cheese that is mild rather than cheese with a strong flavour.
- originate: [verb] happen or appear for the first time in a particular place or situation.
Example: Tobacco originated in America and was later brought to Europe.
- novel: [adjective] new, and different from anything known before.
Example: Drive-in restaurants are a novel idea which originated in America.
- sophisticated: [adjective] typical of rich or socially important people.
Example: They like to dress in very sophisticated clothes, although they don’t have a lot of money.
- juicy: [adjective] having a lot of juice, so that it is good to eat.
Example: He bought some delicious juicy oranges at the market.
- makes my mouth water: [expression] makes me feel hungry.
Example: Thinking about Thai cuisine makes my mouth water.
- ü out of this world: [expression] wonderful and exciting.
Example: The new James Bond film is out of this world.
- full: [adjective] having had enough to eat.
Example: Although I was full after lunch, I still ate an ice-cream in the afternoon.
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2017 With Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Test in January 2017 with Sample Answers - February 21, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017