IELTS Writing Task 1 question:
The graph below shows relative price changes for fresh fruits and vegetables, sugars and sweets, and carbonated drinks between 1978 and 2009.
- IELTS Writing Practice Test 34 (Task 1 & 2) & Sample Answers
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Test (Task 1, 2) in January 2017 & Model Essays
- IELTS Writing Practice Test 33 (Task 1 & 2) & Sample Answers
- IELTS Writing Practice Test 32 (Task 1 & 2) & Sample Answers
- IELTS Writing Actual Test in Australia (December 2016) & Sample Answers
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
Write at least 150 words
Task 1 plan:
- paraphrase task heading
- summary paragraph – 2 major features
- prices for 3 food groups and CPI increased
- only prices for fresh fruits and vegetables were higher than overall increase in CPI over the period.
- compare sugar/ sweets and carbonated drinks trend with CPI
- report on fresh fruits and vegetables trend
The line graph provides information about changes in price in the USA of three different food product groups from 1979 to 2009, and the overall trend in the consumer price index over this 30-year period.
Overall, it is clear that prices increased for the three food product groups, despite fluctuations. Only the increase in the prices for fresh fruits and vegetables was significantly higher than the rise in the general consumer price index.
All the lines on the graph have the same starting figure in 1979. Over the period, the consumer price index rose steadily from around 60 in 1979 to over 200 in 2009. Prices for sugar and sweets and carbonated drinks showed similar trends. Although their prices also rose, they were consistently below the consumer price index average after 1987. After many minor fluctuations, the number for sugar and sweets was 200 on the graph in 2009, higher than the final figure for carbonated drinks at 150.
Prices rose sharply for fresh fruits and vegetables, particularly after 1989. From the same figure of about 60 at the start of the period, the prices finished at roughly 330 on the index in 2009.
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!