Assumption – Word Of The Day For IELTS Speaking And Writing
Assumption: (Noun) /əˈsʌm(p)ʃ(ə)n/
Something that you think is true although you have no definite proof.
Acceptance, Presumption, Hypothesis.
With adjective: basic/certain/different/false/fundamental/general/implicit/reasonable/underlying assumption.
With verb: based/challenge/depend/make/question/rest/work assumption
For IELTS Speaking:
“A lot of people make the assumption that poverty only exists in the developing countries.”
“Our plans were based on the assumption that everyone would be willing to help.”
For IELTS Writing:
“The furore among providers about current government-funding policies which challenge the latter assumption suggests that this is a real danger.”
Choose the following words to fill in the blank: processed, reoccur, theorizes, evidence, constitutional, issuing, unidentifiable, sector, derives, assumptions.
- The notion of the Big Bang _______________ that the universe began as a huge explosion of matter.
- The body of the person killed in the fire was so badly burned that it was _______________.
- The union is _______________ notices that there may be a strike as early as next week.
- Unless safety procedures are improved immediately, an accident could easily _______________.
- Tourism has been the biggest growth _______________ in the Greek economy since the 1970s.
- The president has resigned, and the country is in the middle of a _______________ crisis.
- A large percentage of the population of Paraguay _______________ their living from agricultural activity.
- There is some _______________ that a diet high in broccoli and cabbage reduces a woman’s risk for breast cancer.
- The data can be _______________ by computer in a matter of seconds.
- We shouldn’t make any _______________ until we have heard from everyone involved in the incident.
Check out Vocabulary for IELTS Speaking & Writing on IELTS Material website to improve your vocabulary for IELTS and get a high score in IELTS.
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by Huy Quoc (see all)
- Fall From Grace – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS - February 7, 2017
- Stir Up A Hornet’s Nest – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS - February 5, 2017
- Snug As A Bug In A Rug – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS - February 3, 2017