1 Verb + order (command)
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: promise
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Belief
- Boost Your IELTS Score with Collocations – Key Word: report
- Increase Your IELTS Score with Collocations – Key Word: response
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: circumstances
Use the correct form of these verbs:
be under come disobey receive take
- You’re not my boss! I’m not __________ orders from you.
- In the army I was punished for __________ orders. I was made to clean the toilets for a week.
- The troops__________ orders to attack the city at dawn.
- I’m afraid you can’t come in. We__________ orders not to allow anybody into the building.
- The order__________ direct from the Minister to release the murderer from prison two years early.
2 Giving and obeying orders
Match the two halves of these sentences:
- Soldiers learn to obey orders
- Don’t blame me! I’m only carrying out
- The ship was sinking fast so the captain issued
- Instead of stopping to think,
- It was clear she was furious with us when
- The sergeant barked out a series of orders
- He was arrested for refusing
a the order to abandon ship.
b we just blindly followed orders.
c without questioning them.
d to the new recruits.
e she gave orders that she wasn’t to be disturbed.
f someone else’s orders.
g to comply with a court order to leave the city.
Go back and underline all the verbs used with order or orders.
3 Common expressions
Use these words to complete the sentences:
doctor’s marching strict tall
- All employees are under __________ orders not to talk to the press. They will be sacked if they do.
- Getting this job done on time will be a __________ order. I don’t know how we will be able to meet the deadline.
- She was useless and unreliable, so she got her __________ orders! She’s looking for a new job.
- He’s under __________ orders to cut down on his smoking and drinking.
4 Verb + order (business / restaurant)
Use the correct form of these verbs:
cancel deal with lose
place send take
- I wish a waiter would come and__________ our order!
- We’re thinking of __________ a rather large order. What kind of discount could you offer?
- I __________ you my order two weeks ago, together with a cheque for £60.
- We will __________ your order immediately. Goods are generally dispatched within 24 hours of receipt of order.
- Unfortunately, we __________ an important order worth hundreds of thousands of pounds because the workers went on strike.
- I’m afraid you will lose your deposit if you decide to __________ your order.
5 Adjective + order (arrangement)
Use these adjectives in the sentences:
alphabetical chronological reverse
pecking particular running
- Write down the events in__________ order, that is, in the order in which they happened.
- They read out the names of the winners of the competition in__________ order – third, second and then first.
- My name is Zavaroni — so I’m always at the bottom of every list, arranged in__________ order!
- The__________ order for a concert is the order in which each singer or band will play.
- The files are arranged in no__________ order. If you can think of one, let me know.
- I’ve just started with the company so I’m at the bottom of the__________ order. I’m the last person to get a share of any of the good jobs that come up.
1. Note these adjective expressions:
I think I’ll have a side order of french fries.
The coffee machine is out of order again!
2. Note the expression ‘law and order’.
Ex 1: 1. taking 2. disobeying 3. received 4. are under 5. came
Ex 2: l-c 2-f 3-a 4-b 5-e 6-d 7-g
Ex 3: 1. strict 2. tall 3. marching 4. doctor’s
Ex 4: 1. take 2. placing 3. sent 4. deal with 5. lost 6. cancel
Ex 5: 1. chronological 2. reverse 3. alphabetical 4. running 5. particular 6. pecking
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: promise - November 20, 2017
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Belief - November 10, 2017
- Boost Your IELTS Score with Collocations – Key Word: report - November 6, 2017