The key to IELTS Writing Task 2 success is to use the right tips, techniques and give the examiner exactly what they want in your writing task 2 essay.
In this post you will find everything you need to maximize your IELTS Writing Task 2 score, including:
- Golden rules (Page 1)
- Common IELTS Writing Task 2 Topics (Page 1)
- Analysing the essay questions and understanding the rubric (Page 2)
How to write the introduction (Page 2)
How to write a supporting paragraph (Page 3)
How to organize a supporting paragraph (Page 3)
How to speed up your writing and make it more flexible (Page 4)
Common mini sequences of functions (Page 4)
How to express your opinion (Page 5)
How to link your sentences (Page 5)
General writing hints (Page 6)
Checking your writing efficiently (Page 6)
- Practice and Band 9.0 Sample Answer (Page 7)
• Use the question to help you organize your answer.
• Check the general topic of the question, usually, a problem, a point of view or a statement with two opposing views.
• Check how many parts there are to the question.
• Make a brief plan. Use the focus points in the question.
• Plan to write about four/five paragraphs. Keep this writing structure in mind:
- Introduction: The introduction should tell the examiner what the rest of the essay is about and also answer the question directly. This tells the examiner that you know what you are doing straight away and helps you write your main body paragraphs.
- Supporting Paragraphs: This is where you give the examiner more detail. You do this by stating your main points and supporting these with explanations and relevant examples.
- Conclusion: Here you provide a summary of what you have already said in the rest of the essay.
• Make very brief notes about what you are going to write for each paragraph – one idea for each paragraph is enough.
• Aim to write around 270 words.
• Work out how many lines 250 words are in your handwriting, e.g. if you write about ten words per line, then you will need to produce at least 25 lines.
• Spend no more than five minutes analysing the question and planning.
Common IELTS Writing Task 2 Topics
The most common IELTS essay topics are:
- Health (Sample 1, Sample 2, Sample 3)
- Environment (Sample 1, Sample 2, Sample 3)
- Education (Sample 1, Sample 2, Sample 3, Sample 4, Sample 5)
- International Development (Sample 1, Sample 2, Sample 3)
- Globalisation (Sample 1, Sample 2)
- Public Transport (Sample 1, Sample 2)
- Crime & Punishment (Sample)
- Youth Crime (Sample 1, Sample 2)
- Technology (Sample 1, Sample 2)
- Government Spending
- Traditional Culture (Sample 1, Sample 2, Sample 3, Sample 4, Sample 5)
- Travel & Tourism (Sample 1, Sample 2, Sample 3)
- Society (Sample 1, Sample 2, Sample 3, Sample 4)
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Newspapers & Sample Essay - June 25, 2017
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 & Band 8.5 Discursive Essay - June 23, 2017
- IELTS Writing Test (Task 1, 2) in 2017 & Sample Answers - June 20, 2017