Play One’s Ace – Idiom of the Day for IELTS Speaking
use one’s best resource/weapon
It’s time to play our ace and put our strongest player.
A. Complete the following sentences by filling in the appropriate idioms.
went for broke playing its ace putting our cards on the table
rock-bottom sweetened the deal
1. We’re_________________. We want to buy this company and put our own management team.
2. One of our competitors is ______________ to stage a hostile takeover of our company.
3. The company _________ after failing to find new investors.
4. The shops ___________ by giving a 10% discount on all items.
5. The $16 million amount for a house and lot in the center of the city is a _______ offer.
B. Make sentences using the learned idiom and write it down in the comment box below
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests from June to December 2016 & Model Essays (Updating) - November 24, 2016
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Test in November 2016 & Model Essay - November 23, 2016
- IELTS Writing Actual Test in July 2016 & Band 8.0+ Sample Argumentative Essay - November 17, 2016