Describe a time you needed to use your imagination.
- IELTS Speaking Actual Test in Canada – April 2017 & Sample Answers
- 50 IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics (February – May 2017) & Sample Answers
- IELTS Speaking Recent Actual Test in India – January 2017 & Sample Answers
- IELTS Speaking Recent Actual Test in January 2017 & Sample Answers
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Rain & Sample Answers
You should say:
What the situation was
Why you needed to use imagination
What the difficulties were
And explain how you felt about it.
Honestly, I had to admit that I am quite a down-to-earth person and barely either spend time imagining or day dreaming. However, every now and then in school life, imagination is life saver in remembering the knowledge imparted, especially in the subject of History. Indeed, envisaging a chain of images and actions inside my head based on the story or series of events in the book enabled me to acquire new things way more efficiently. For instance, in the time of learning about the history of chocolate, by utilizing the technique of imagine and envisage the image, just like making a movie inside my head, I could remember quickly a quite enormous knowledge and can still recall today. I can tell you that wild chocolate trees can grow easily in the humid Amazon rainforest. Clusters of flowers from these trees turn to seeds. Approximately 20 to 60 cacao beans, which are the ingredient needed to create sweet, soothing and delicious chocolate treats, can be found in the seeds. The Mayan and Aztec cultures both thought that chocolate trees are brought from paradise by God. They used the bean from this divine tree to create a special beverage with a very pleasant odor. Gradually, the treats and drinks made of these beans become prominent and millions of people around the world adore it as the most delicious sweet ever. Making my own film using the imagination in fact helps me to obtain knowledge like a piece of cake.
Other way to answer:
a. What the situation was (Past tense)
- Joined a T-shirt Design Competition with the aim to incentivize people to protect the environment ==> think outside the box to come up with the best ideas to have a outstanding design.
– Feel stressed out because: senior ==> undergo a nerve-racking period of time (in the middle of finals, internship) ==> always up to my neck in tests & thesis
– design T-shirt -> challenging -> don’t have a knack for art and not major in fashion
==> easier if this is a Math competition, which is my forte
b. Why you needed to use imagination
– want to come up with something NOT run-of-the-mill
-> need to think outside the box
– competitive competition ==> make the best of my creativity to produce a brilliant design
c. What the difficulties were
I was met with a number of difficulties
+ finance/ budget -> limited (student – meager income)
+ ideas: resemble others
outdated -> the judges expect something up to the minute
+ time limited ==> work against the clock
d. How you felt
– a great sense of achievement (well-received by judges and ended up in 2nd place)
-> take lots of pride in my accomplishment
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!