IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic
Cycling is more environmentally friendly than other forms of transport. Why is it not popular in many places? And how to increase its popularity?
- IELTS Writing Actual Test in July 2016 & Band 8.0 Sample Cause/Solution Essay
- IELTS Writing Actual Tests (Task 2) in 2015 & Model Essays
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests from June to December 2016 & Model Essays (Updating)
- IELTS Writing Actual Test in July 2016 & Band 9.0 Sample Cause/Solution Essay
- IELTS Writing Actual Test in July 2016 & Band 8.0 Sample Two-Question Essay
Band 8.0 Sample Essay 1
Although riding a bicycle is clearly a better way to protect the environment than using other types of vehicles, not many people around the world prefer this means of transport. There are several causes of this unpopularity, and some solutions could be proposed to promote the usage of bicycles.
To begin with, there are several reasons why few people use bicycles to travel on a regular basis. Firstly, since modern life is getting much busier than in the past, individuals nowadays want to spend as little time on transport as possible. Therefore, they prefer to use other types of vehicles such as motorbikes or cars which would take less time. Secondly, cycling is more physically demanding than riding a motorbike or driving a car. This tends to discourage people from choosing this method, especially on a hot and sunny day or when they have to travel a long distance.
Several actions can be taken to increase the popularity of bicycles. The first solution would be to make it more costly to own a motorbike or a car. This can be done by increasing the price of petrol or raising tax on these vehicles. As a result, more people would choose bicycles as their primary means of transport. Additionally, more lanes should be built to serve only cyclists, which would make it much faster to travel with bicycles. The final solution is to launch campaigns to raise citizens’ awareness of the harmful effects of motorbikes and cars on the environment, and this could encourage people to cycle more often.
In conclusion, there are some reasons why bicycles are becoming less common in today’s world, and solutions should be produced early to promote this environmentally friendly means of transport.
(287 words, by Quang Thang)
- unpopularity: not liked or enjoyed by a person, a group of people in general
- physically demanding ==> Example: mountain climbing is very physically demanding
- primary: main; most important; basic
- cyclist: a person who rides a bicycle
Band 8.0 Sample Essay 2
The unpopularity of using bicycle in numerous places has been brought into question although there is little doubt about its friendly effects on the environment compared to cars or airplanes. The reasons for this are varied and several feasible solutions would be proposed in the essay below.
There are two main underlying explanations for the uncommon use of bicycles. Firstly, it would consume a considerable amount of time to travel by this means of transport, which, according to many, justifies the price of potential environmental damage caused by other types of vehicles. This is because it fails to benefit dwellers of major cities in particular when their pace of working life would eclipse the values of using bicycles to the environment. Secondly, modern people are becoming less concerned about the negative impact that their daily use of cars and public transportation would inflict on their surroundings. Therefore, it is rather impractical to expect cycling in cities, or even the countryside.
The government play a vital role in encouraging the use of this environmentally friendly vehicle. They could conduct monthly green days that by law require citizens to cycle to work to get people involved in protecting their environment. In the long term, such an initiative would help to gradually form a habit of cycling among occupied individuals. More importantly, propagation via various means of media along with optional courses about the advantages of cycling to the environment at schools seem imperative to heighten social awareness of this matter.
In conclusion, cycling, regardless of its positive influences on the environment, has become a rare picture in the modern world for a number of reasons; and the government should take immediate actions to improve this situation.
Useful vocabulary and structures:
– The uncommon use of bicycles
– To fail to benefit major city dwellers in particular
– To eclipse the values of using bicycles to the environment
– To be rather impractical to expect cycling
– The use of this environmentally friendly vehicle
– Monthly green days
– Form a habit of cycling
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Aging Population & Model Answers - November 29, 2017
- IELTS Writing Actual Test in November 2017 & Model Answers - November 25, 2017
- IELTS Writing Actual Test in October 2017 & Model Answers - November 21, 2017