2.How to write the main part of the text
- Divide your text into 3-4 paragraphs, including the introduction.
- Divide the information into broad/general groups/categories or trends.
- Describe the main or most striking/significant/noticeable/outstanding/remarkable
feature(s)/charateristics differences/trends/changes. Avoid writing lists of detail. Write about general trends and support what you say with specific data.
- Describe the three general trends: is/was upwards/downwards/flat or say what happened: …(sales) rose/fell/remained flat/fluctuated…
Use appropriate synonyms:
– rise (vb): climb, go up, increase, improve, jump, leap, move upward, rocket, skyrocket, soar, shoot up. pick up. surge, recover
– rise (n): increase, climb, jump, leap, pick up, surge (in)
– fall (vb): collapse, decline, decrease, deteriorate: dip, dive, drop, fall (back), go down, go into free-fall, plummet plunge, reduce (only in the passive) slide, slip (back), slump, take a nosedive
– fall (n): decline, decrease, deterioration, dip. drop, plunge, free-fall, slide, slip, dive, reduction, slump
– fluctuate: (noun: fluctuations) be erratic, be fitful, vary, rise and fall erratically
– flat: no change, constant
Add suitable adverbs: dramatically, erratically, gradually, markedly, significantly, slightly, slowly, steadily.
Add specific information or examples:
– (increasing, decreasing, etc) from … to …
(eg: The oil price experienced a period of sharp rise, increasing from 120$ to 320$ over a decade. )
– with an increase from … to… /to… from …
Use: …followed by… to add more information
(eg: The oil price increased dramatically to 120$ in 2001, followed by a slight drop to 100$ over the next year)
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Newspapers & Sample Essay - June 25, 2017
- Academic IELTS Writing Task 2 & Band 8.5 Discursive Essay - June 23, 2017
- IELTS Writing Test (Task 1, 2) in 2017 & Sample Answers - June 20, 2017