IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic:
People should follow the customs and traditions when people start to live in a new country. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- IELTS Writing Task 2 – Topic: Education & Band 8.0 Sample Argumentative Essay
- IELTS Writing Actual Tests (Task 2) in 2015 & Model Essays
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests from June to December 2016 & Model Essays (Updating)
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Test in November 2016 & Model Essay
- IELTS Writing Actual Test in July 2016 & Band 8.0+ Sample Argumentative Essay
Band 9.0 Model Answer
Many people argue that foreigners should adapt to the local customs and traditions when they come to reside in a new country. I completely agree with this view. c led
Newcomers will certainly face difficulties if they do not conform to the norms of social behaviour in the host country. Firstly, it will become almost impossible for them to blend into their new environment. For example, an entrepreneur who comes to live in a new country and starts up a business must be aware of the business practices of that country. There are bound to be many pitfalls, not only legal ones but also simply in terms of winning and keeping customers. Secondly, recent immigrants might fall foul of the law if they do not respect the behaviour and customs of locals. In Singapore, for instance, residents will consider newcomers dirty and ill-mannered if they litter the street or spit gum in public places.
There are also many benefits for foreigners when they do adopt the customs and traditions of their new country of residence. One advantage is that local people will be more welcoming when they feel that the newcomers are showing respect for the local way of life. The establishment of closer links with the host community might lead to greater integration and mutual understanding. Another benefit is the richness of the experience which newcomers will gain from enjoying aspects of local customs and traditions, enabling them to participate in community life and avoid social isolation. During festivals and national holidays, especially, they will feel like they ‘belong’ in their new country.
In conclusion, I would argue that it is essential for new residents to follow the traditions and habits of locals in the host community in order to integrate fully into society.
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Reading Practice Test 23 - December 7, 2016
- IELTS Writing Task 2 – Topic: Education & Band 8.0 Sample Argumentative Essay - December 7, 2016
- Ten food idioms that are right under your nose to help score Band 8.0+ - December 6, 2016