The news media have become too much influence in people lives today and this is a negative development. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Many people believe that the news media have been exerting negative effects on people’s lives, which is an undesirable phenomenon. I completely agree with this view.
- IELTS Writing Task 2 in 2017 Topic: Internet & Sample Answer
- IELTS Writing Task 2 in October 2017 & Model Answer – Topic: Global Issues
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Aging Population & Model Answers
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Test in July, 2016 & Sample Essay
- IELTS Writing Actual Test in October 2017 & Model Answers
The scenario of the public’s growing dependence on news outlets in either print or non-print forms means that people are being instilled with skewed or unreliable information. Many news channels perpetually loop the same pieces of news all day long, hammering them in the minds of unsuspecting audience. These media houses are often corporate sell-outs that publish news to earn profits or boost their ratings, and negatively cater to the masses by putting out the most sensational news stories. For example, XYZ — a popular news channel — often gives overly-focused accounts of events such as the scandal of a celebrity or the anticipated demise of the human race, simply to hook viewers.
The freedom of news in sharing opinions about any issue is also thought to seed stereotypical judgments into people’s thinking. This is an unfavorable situation, especially in developing or underdeveloped countries where the majority of people are not rational enough to sift through news and recognize the truth. As a result, the audience will be thrown into a state of panic and jump to undesirable actions to protect themselves. For instance, the recent news that the state will pay only 3000 US dollars maximum for those with savings account if a bank goes bankrupt has made people withdraw all their money for fear of losing everything.
In conclusion, I believe that the influence of the media is excessively negative, leaving people with distorted thoughts and fear.
270 words – IELTS Corner
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Writing Task 2 in November 2017 Topic: News Media with Sample - December 7, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 3 Topic: Foreign Language & Sample Answers - December 7, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 in 2017 – Topic: English lesson - December 6, 2017