Key word: Chance
1 Verb + chance (opportunity)
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: problem
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: person
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: occasion
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: memory
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: luck
Use the correct form of these verbs:
give have improve take
miss jump at need wait for
- I can do much better. Please __________ me one more chance and I’ll show you what I can really do.
- I can’t believe how rude Pete was. He snatched the newspaper out of my hand before I __________ a chance to read it.
- Don’t __________ this chance to buy three of your favourite videos for the price of one.
- You should __________ the chance to travel abroad while you’re still young.
- I had no hesitation in accepting the job in the New York office. It was the chance I had been __________
- I feel that learning English will __________ my chances of working abroad.
- It’s an important matter so I __________ a chance to think it over before I make a decision.
- Do you think I should take the job in Milan? => Well, if it was me, I’d__________ the chance!
2 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences with these adjectives:
better equal last second rare
- If you don’t finish this task within the time limit, you will be eliminated from the contest. Nobody gets a __________ chance.
- Many parents today make sacrifices to send their children to good schools and to university. They want their children to have a __________ chance in life than they had themselves.
- This weekend, visitors will get a__________ chance to see inside the rooms of the Royal Palace. This is only the second time the King has allowed the public into his private apartments.
- Handicaps in sports such as golf give people with different abilities an __________ chance of winning competitions.
- This is my __________ chance to pass the entrance examination. It’s my third attempt and I won’t be allowed another chance.
3 Verb + chance (possibility)
Use the correct form of these verbs:
fancy increase rate ruin stand
- Smoking when you are pregnant may __________ the chances of damage to your baby.
- One careless mistake at work__________ my chances of promotion.
- At this rate we don’t __________ a chance of getting to the airport on time.
- I don’t __________ our chances of beating them. They are a very strong team. They haven’t lost a home game for two years!
- How do you __________ your chances of getting the job?
4 Common adjective collocations
Write the expressions from the sentence with the following meanings:
a no chance at all __________
b no chance, but maybe! __________
c a very very small chance __________
d a good chance __________
e a very good chance __________
- We only have an outside chance of making the airport on time. The plane leaves in twenty minutes!
- Nowadays we have the expertise to ensure that premature babies have an excellent chance of survival.
- It’s only a thunderstorm! The chances of being struck by lightning are a million to one.
- Fat chance of him coming to give us a hand. He won’t lift a hand to help anybody but himself.
- The team has a fair chance of success this year.
1. Note the following:
Is there any chance of a lift to the airport?
Is there any chance of borrowing the car, Dad?
2. Chance can also mean ‘risk’: If I were you, I’d take a chance and ring her.
It can also mean ‘luck’: It was pure chance we were on the same plane.
1 give 2. had 3. miss 4. take 5. waiting for
6 improve 7. need 8. jump at
- second 2. better 3. rare 4. equal 5. last
- increase 2. ruined 3. stand 4.fancy 5. rate
a-4 b-1 c-3 d-5 e-2
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!