1 Verb + experience
Use the correct form of these verbs:
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: problem
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: person
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: occasion
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: memory
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: luck
gain base on
- She didn’t ___________ much experience of marketing, but they gave her the job anyway.
- My father believes that it is better to ___________ from experience rather than from books. Personally, I think that you need to do both.
- I’ve___________ a lot of valuable experience in the classroom this year. I now feel I’m a much better teacher than I was when I qualified a year ago.
- The new CEO is like a breath of fresh air. He ___________ years of experience to the company.
- Margaret, perhaps you’d like to ___________ your experience with the rest of the class?
- The novel is about growing up in China in the 60’s. It’s ______________ the author’s own experience.
2 Adjective + experience
Match the two halves of these sentences:
- Training is provided, so
- Studying at a university can be
- John ’ll be late. I know from
- How can you talk about poverty when you’ve had
- The reason I didn’t make it to the second stage of the interviews is that I lacked
- The diving course involves a one-hour lecture and
a the necessary experience for the job.
b past experience that you can’t rely on him.
c two hours’ practical experience in the swimming pool.
d a rich and rewarding experience.
e no previous experience is required for the job.
f no direct experience of it?
3 Noun expressions
Match the two halves of these sentences:
- They won’t consider him for the job because of
- He’s worked in a number of different areas so
- We’ll meet to review the proposed plans
- Dealing with problems in the classroom is all
a in the light of past experience.
b a matter of experience.
c his lack of experience.
d his breadth of experience makes him ideal for the job.
4 Common adjective collocations
We also use the word experience to describe the effect something has on us. Fill the gaps below with the following adjectives:
bitter satisfying traumatic
- The death of a close relative is a___________ experience, often leaving people emotionally drained.
- We learned through ___________ experience that you can’t trust Brian. He’s let us down too many times.
- McEnroe had the___________ experience of finally beating his old rival, Borg, in the final.
- Nobody in the family will ever forget the trip to our grandfather’s birthplace. It was a ___________ experience.
- Living in Central Africa was a ___________ experience. There was always something new and interesting to see or do.
- Going abroad on a school trip can be a very ___________ experience for some children.
- For most people a parachute jump is an ___________ and unforgettable experience.
In 2-3 ‘first-hand’ is also possible.
In 2-4 ‘personal’ is also possible.
2. Note the prepositions that follow experience:
have experience of teaching
have experience with children
have experience as a teacher
3. We use the expression ‘in my experience’ very often at the beginning of what we want to say:
In my experience, this kind of skin rash will disappear in a day or two.
4. If we do something very exciting – for example, going up in a hot air balloon – we can say:
That was quite an experience!
5. If you have a bad experience – for example, you lend money to a friend and they don’t re-pay you, you can say:
I suppose I should just put it down to experience!
- have 2. learn 3.gained 4. brings 5.share 6. based on
Ex 2: 1 -e 2-d 3-b 4-f 5-a 6-c
Ex 3: l-c 2-d 3-a 4-b
1 traumatic 2. bitter 3. satisfying 4. memorable
5 fascinating 6. formative 7. exhilarating
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!