Key Word: power
1 Verb + power
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: promise
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Belief
- Boost Your IELTS Score with Collocations – Key Word: report
- Increase Your IELTS Score with Collocations – Key Word: response
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: circumstances
Use the correct form of these verbs:
use fall from give
return to seize have
- The authorities_____________ the power to cancel the march if they think it will lead to civil disobedience.
- The police _____________ their powers under the Public Order Act to remove the protesters who were blocking the entrance to the nuclear power station.
- When one politician_____________ power, another comes to power in their place.
- After four years out of government, the Socialist Party is expected to be_____________ power in the forthcoming election.
- The President was ousted from power yesterday when rebel soldiers _____________ power in a bloodless coup.
- The aim of the new legislation is to _____________ people more power over their own lives.
2 Noun + preposition + power
Use these nouns in the sentences:
- The mayor has been arrested on charges of corruption and _____________ of power.
- He enjoyed the_____________ of power, such as chauffeur-driven cars and five-star hotels.
- Her rapid_____________ to power surprised many people.
- There is certainly a shortage of women in _____________ of power, but plans are being made to change this.
- Like so many politicians, he had an insatiable _____________ for power.
- The new employment laws mean that the _____________ of power has shifted away from workers towards employers.
- The army refuses to hand over power to the civilian government. It is obviously reluctant to relax its_____________ on power.
3 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences below with the following:
creative destructive enormous
mysterious absolute sweeping
- The _____________ power of modern weapons is terrifying.
- She held a senior position and wielded_____________ power over the Prime Minister.
- I don’t know why Helen does everything Mark says. He seems to have some _____________ power over her.
- During the crisis, the security forces were given _____________ powers to search people and their homes.
- As an artist, he was at the height of his _____________ powers in his forties.
- Mugabe was a ruthless dictator who ended up exercising _____________ power over Zimbabwe.
4 Power(s) + of + noun
Complete the sentences with these words:
positive thinking speech
- Chess is a game that requires great powers of _____________ .
- No one can doubt the persuasive power of_____________ – especially on TV.
- My father had a stroke and lost the power of _____________ for a few months, but he can communicate quite well now.
- He claims that his recovery from illness demonstrates the power of_____________ – the power of the mind over the body.
1. Note the following expressions:
The government has promised to do everything in its power to combat terrorism.
There’s a power struggle going on at the top of the Labour Party.
2. We talk about ‘nuclear power, steam power’ etc.
Ex 1: l. have 2. used 3.falls from 4. returned to 5. seized 6. give
Ex 2: 1. abuse 2. trappings 3. rise 4. positions 5. hunger 6. balance 7. grip
Ex 3: 1. destructive 2. enormous 3. mysterious 4. sweeping 5. creative 6. absolute
Ex 4: 1. concentration 2. advertising 3. speech 4. positive thinking
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: promise - November 20, 2017
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Belief - November 10, 2017
- Boost Your IELTS Score with Collocations – Key Word: report - November 6, 2017