Continuing the previous topic last week, today, I will introduce you to ten more academic words, which are very powerful if you use correctly. Therefore, you could improve your score in IELTS Writing.
Intrusion (n): When someone does something or something happens, that affects you private life or activities in an unwanted way.
- This is a governmental intrusion on the freedom of the press.
Involuntary (adj): Happening without the person concerned wanting it to.
- The distinction between voluntary and involuntary unemployment is often blurred.
Itinerary (n): a plan of a journey, including the route and the places that you visit.
- Visits to four different countries are included in your itinerary.
Lucid (adj): clearly expressed; easy to understand.
- There is only one lucid explanation for this problem.
Lucrative (adj): producing a large amount of money; making a large profit.
- Many of the engineers left the service for more lucrative jobs abroad.
Ludicrous (adj): Unreasonable; that you cannot take seriously.
- It was ludicrous to think that the plan might succeed.
Jurisdiction (n): the authority that an official organization has to make legal decisions about somebody/something.
- The British courts have universal jurisdiction over torture cases.
Lenient (adj): not as strict as expected when punishing somebody or when making sure that rules are obeyed.
- School examiners say that marking has become more lenient in recent years.
Loathe (v): To dislike somebody/something very much.
- Many of the people fear and loathe the new government.
Obsess (v): to completely fill your mind so that you cannot think of anything else, in a way that is not normal.
- Modern people are becoming obsessed with material wealth.
I hope you found this post informative. If you have any question, please let me know in the comment below or on the Facebook page.
And do not forget to come back to see the next part of this post. Hope all of you have a great day!
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!