After completing Part One (usually after 4-5 minutes) the examiner will move onto Part Two of the speaking test.
- IELTS Speaking Actual Test in Bangladesh – March 2018 & Model Answers
- IELTS Speaking Test in the UK – March 2018 & Model Answers
- IELTS General Speaking Test in Philippines – Feb 2018
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers
- IELTS Speaking Questions (Part 1, 2, 3) & Sample Answers – Topic: Health
In Part Two the examiner gives the candidate a topic card and the candidate has one minute to prepare and make notes. After the one minute preparation time the candidate is required to talk about the topic for between one and two minutes (as a rule you are expected to speak for at least 1 minute 30 seconds—anything less than this and your “Fluency” score may be reduced).
Candidates do not need to worry about ‘timing’ in Part Two because the examiner will stop the candidate when the clock hits two minutes.
The best strategy in Part Two is to keep talking until the examiner says stop. Candidates are naturally nervous in this part of the test so it is not good to try to guess the time.
IELTS Myth: Most people believe that in the speaking test, Part One is the easiest. Part Two is more difficult and Part Three is the most difficult section. With regard to performance, this is not usually the case. Most candidates perform quite well in Parts One and Three but the Part 2 performance is usually the worst part of the interview. The biggest problem with part Two is that IELTS candidates focus on content. Most people are so busy trying to think about “what to say” and forgetting about “language content” of their speech. Therefore, in part Two, you should focus on the following features of language:
During a 2-minute talk it is essential to use linking words, linking phrases and fillers (redundant language)
Uncommon words and idioms will significantly increase your “Vocabulary” score. In Part Two try to find words that arc directly related to your topic area. Don’t forget to paraphrase.
Whatever you are saying in Part Two, say it with complex sentences and if necessary use a variety of tenses.
To help you be well-prepared for the IELTS Speaking section, we have compiled a long list of 100 Part 2 topics with Sample Answers from Cue Card Samples catergory on ieltsmaterial.com.
For the latest Part 1, 2, 3 topics & questions for the IELTS tests in April & May, 2017, you can get our ebook titled “IELTS Speaking Actual Tests & Suggested Answers (February – May 2017) now. Each topic in this 315-page ebook has Band 9.0 Sample Answers, a clear-to-follow definition of each word, phrase, collocation or idiom, and a further example of how to use these topic words in the Speaking part of the test so that you are ready to use the vocabulary in IELTS Speaking.
Now, can’t wait to share with you 100 IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2016 & 2017 to help you hike up your IELTS Score to Band 7.5 or above!
Best of luck for your IELTS test!
Download IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics & Model Answers
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!