Have you enjoyed the previous lesson about 10 Useful Phrasal Verbs to push your IELTS speaking score? Today’s post will help you hike up your IELTS Speaking score with another 11 commonly used phrasal verbs in the oral English so that you can make use of in the IELTS Speaking test.
1. Work out: calculate
Example: I need to work out whether I can afford to study abroad.
- 10 Phrasal Verbs to Push Your Speaking Score to Band 8 or Higher (Part 1)
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS Speaking – Topic: Food
- Common Idioms to Improve Your IELTS Score – Topic: Memory and mind
- Two-Word Prepositions to Score Band 7.0+ in IELTS Writing & Speaking (Part 3)
- Formal Prepositions to score Band 7.0 or Higher in IELTS (Part 2)
2. Catch up: to try to reach the same standard, stage, or level as others after you have fallen behind them (like you’re chasing someone, or with your studies)
Example: I fell behind after 1 week off from school and had to catch up.
3. Carry on: continue
Example: I’m going to carry on studying IELTS till I get the score I need – I’m not giving up!
4. Come across: To meet or find (something or someone) by chance.
Example: On the halfway back home, I came across Tom, what a coincidence!
5. Read up on: to study or learn by reading
Example: Before setting out to travel around the world, I read up on all the places I planned to visit.
6. Sort out: to find a solution to (a problem, etc), esp to make clear or tidy.
Example: It took a long time to sort out the mess.
7. Zone out: fall asleep or lose concentration or consciousness.
Example: I just zoned out for a moment after such a long drive.
8. Put up with: endure
Example: After graduating, I had to put up with many months of unpaid work before finally being given a permanent contract.
9. Come up with: to think of, develop, or find something
Example: They’ve tried their best to come up with a feasible solution to air pollution.
10. Look back on: Think about something that happened in the past
Example: When I look back on my childhood, I’m amazed by the crazy things we used to do
11. Call off: to stop or cancel
Example: They called off the football match because of the weather forecast.
Do you have any other phrasal verbs you’d like to use in the IELTS exam?
Let us know what they are in the comments section below!
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!