IELTS Writing Actual Test in March, 2016 & Band 9 Argumentative Essay – Topic:
Some people believe famous people’s support towards international aid organizations draws attention to problems. Others think celebrities make the problems less important. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Band 9.0 sample
It is argued that well-known people’s involvement in global aid organizations attracts the attention of the community. While some people suppose that their participation may downplay the significance of problems. I would argue that this trend could bring about enormous and positive changes to society.
On the one hand, famous people can lessen the importance of problems. One reason is that most people often consider the main purpose of celebrities’ support as a way to enhance their reputations. In an effort to attract the attention of society, a number of important people try to be involved in as many volunteer projects as possible without any particular passion or interest in those. Furthermore, the association with celebrities may trivialize the serious work of international aid organizations since the focus of the public may be shifted away from this endeavour to the fame and public image of the celebrity concerned. Consequently, we sometimes have to question their motives for involvement.
On the other hand, I strongly believe that celebrities can bring meaningful changes to social activities. Firstly, they have a huge number of fans who are inspired by their actions. For example, when My Tam – a Vietnamese legendary singer – took part in a project to help underprivileged children in mountainous areas, thousands of youngsters from her fan clubs joined in this project by donating money and working as volunteers thanks to her encouragement. Secondly, celebrities are often trusted by both local and international communities, which may lead to success in raising the profile of aid organizations. As a result, more people learn about projects and donate money or volunteer to help either practically or in fund-raising.
In conclusion, although there are some drawbacks to celebrity participation in international aid organizations, it seems to me that it is more advantageous for the community that they take part in voluntary activities.
- global aid organizations : international organizations that provide money and specific types of assistance to areas around the world
Example: She hopes to work for an important global aid organization after graduating
- attracts the attention of: to get the attention of, to do something in a way that makes people look
Example: Lady Gaga’s antics always attracts the attention of the press.
- downplay the significance of: to make something seem like it isn’t that important
Example: The company tried to downplay the significance of their financial shortfall this last quarter
- enormous and positive changes: changes that are big, important or significant and good
Example: They hope that the new laws will make enormous and positive changes toward addressing issues caused by climate change.
enhance their reputations: to make people think good thoughts about you so that you have a good reputation
Example: Some celebrities think that donating large sums of money enhances their reputations as generous people.
- question their motives: to wonder why someone is doing something, to question the motivation for why someone will do something
Example: The police offer questioned their motives, but the couple said that they were just trying to help.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!