Task 1: Air pollutants in UK
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 8th September With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 25th August With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 18th August With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
- ELTS Writing Task 1 Test On 28th July With Band 8.0-9.0 Sample
The graph below shows different sources of air pollutants in the UK from 1990 to 2005. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
Paraphrase paragraph: shows>illustrates; different>3 sources; from 1990 to 2005>during the period 1990 to 2005.
Summary/overview paragraph: (1) the total amount of air pollutants fell (2) the most significant fall was from industry
Paragraph 3: describe total trend -figures for 1990,1999 and 2005
Paragraph 4: compares figures from the 3 sources, giving figures for 1990,2005.
The line graph illustrates data on 3 sources of air pollutants in the UK during the period 1990 to 2005.
Overall, it is clear that the total amount of pollutants in the air decreased between these years. The decline in air pollutants from industrial sources was particularly significant.
In 1990, the total amount of air pollutants in the UK was 7 million tonnes. This figure fell sharply to 4 million tonnes in 1999, and then continued to decline to just over 3 million tonnes by the end of the period.
Industry accounted for 5.5 million tonnes of air pollutants in 1990. There was then a decrease throughout this period to a figure of 2 million tonnes by 2005, with a particularly sharp fall between 1993 and 1996. In contrast, the amount of air pollutants was much lower from transport and household sources. Air pollution from transport remained relatively constant at about 1 million tonnes from 1990 to 2005, whereas air pollutants from households saw a decrease from almost 1 million tonnes in 1990 to approximately 0.1 million tonnes by 2005.
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Reading Recent Actual Test 24 in 2018 with Answer Key - March 22, 2019
- IELTS Reading Recent Actual Test 23 in 2018 with Answer Key - March 22, 2019
- IELTS Reading Recent Actual Test 22 in 2018 with Answer Key - March 22, 2019