Task 1: Two tunnels (diagrams)
The diagrams show the cross-sections of two tunnels, one joining France and Italy and the other joining two Japanese islands.
Paraphrase: diagrams/figures; show/compare: illustrate; joining/linking.
Overview/summary: (1) the railway tunnel is longer (2) it took longer to build than the road tunnel.
Paragraph 3: compare the (maximum) depths of the tunnels. Contrast the lengths of the tunnels.
Paragraph 4: Compare the Japanese railway tunnel construction dates with those of the Mont Blanc tunnel. Note that the Japanese tunnel was built under the sea -the tunnel linking France and Italy was built under a mountain.
The figures compare the cross-sections of two tunnels. Figure 1 illustrates a road tunnel joining two European countries, while Figure 2 shows a railway tunnel linking two islands in Japan.
Overall, it is clear that the railway tunnel in Japan is much longer than the tunnel under Mont Blanc. Also, the Seikan Railway Tunnel took much longer to build than the Mont Blanc Road Tunnel.
The depth of the Mont Blanc Tunnel is 3.5 km at its maximum, compared with only 240m for the Seikan Tunnel. However, whereas the length of the Mont Blanc Tunnel connecting Italy and France is only 11.6 km, the Seikan Tunnel is much longer, at 53.85 km.
The construction times of the two tunnels were markedly different. The railway tunnel was built under the sea, connecting two Japanese islands, and its construction took 42 years to complete, starting in 1946 and finishing in 1988. The road tunnel under Mont Blanc, however, was completed in just 8 years, between 1957 and 1965.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!