IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic & Questions about Work with Band 8.0+ Sample Answers
Q1: Are you a student or are you working?
Well, for the past couple of years, I’ve been working as an auditor at KPMG, which is among the top 4 auditing firms in the world. I love my job, and I think it’s a very interesting line of work.
Line of work (phrase) the work that a person does regularly in order to earn money
Q2: What do you like about your job?
Well I guess the thing I like most about my job is the salary. I make what I’d consider is a lucrative income, which means not only is it enough to cover my bills, but there’s also some extra to spend on whatever I want. So on payday, I often treat myself to a meal at a high-end restaurant or splurge on a nice shirt.
Lucrative income (phrase)
High-end (adj) the most sophisticated, and typically the most expensive product in a line
Splurge on something (phrase) to spend a lot of money on someone or something
Q3: What do you dislike about your job?
You know, I’d have to say the overwhelming workload is something I am not a fan of. I mean, I’ve got a very hectic schedule, which means I’m always up to my ears in deadlines. That leaves me with very little quality time for family and friends. In the future, I might look into another job that is a bit less stressful.
Overwhelming (adj) very intense
Hectic (adj) busy
Up to my ears in something (phrase) busy doing something
Quality time (phrase) time during which one dedicates oneself to a person or activity
Q4: What do you do after work?
Well, when we get off work, my colleagues and I usually hit the bar and grab a couple of drinks and maybe a bite to eat if we’re feeling up to it. It’s great fun, and a fantastic way to unwind.
Hit the bar (phrase) to go out, to go for a few drinks
Grab a bite to eat (phrase) get something to eat
Up to (doing) something (phrase) well enough, or good enough to do something
Unwind (verb) relax
Q5: Do you miss being a student?
I surely will miss my student life once I get involve in the workplace. For me I think when I’m a student, at least I have someone guide me, whereas at work mostly you must guide yourself. The academic environment appears to be a comfort zone for me, while I’m sure I’ll struggle with fitting in the working environment.
To get involve in (v) to become a part of (an organization)
To fit in (v) to become suitable or appropriate for Sth or SO
==> Useful tip for Speaking Part 1:
Try to use collocations/idioms in your IELTS Speaking test to increase your IELTS Speaking score. For example:
– In terms of work ==> line of work | schedule ==> hectic schedule | up to one’s ears in something
– In terms of money: income ==> lucrative income | cover bills | splurge on
– In regard to going out: hit the bar | grab a drink | grab a bike, etc
You can get our IELTS speaking ebook titled “IELTS Speaking Actual Tests & Suggested Answers (Ebook)” which covers all the latest IELTS Speaking Actual Tests in 2017 with Band 9.0 Model Answers to boost your IELTS score.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!