The tradition that family gets together to eat meals is disappearing. What are the reasons? What are the impacts on families and societies?
It is true that modem families do not have meals together as often as in the past. Reasons for this vary, and there are several impacts on both households and the community as a whole.
Family members today rarely eat meals together because of several causes. The hectic work schedule is often considered the main reason why individuals now tend to resort to prepared meals to save time for work. As such, the tradition that parents came back from work to cook lunch for children is no longer preferable in many countries, and this also explains why the fast food industry is developing fast in this country. Another contributing factor is that culinary skills are no longer passed on to younger generations. Food outlets and restaurants today offer a wide range of food choices that can satisfy even fussy eaters, meaning that cooking is not necessarily a skill that young people need to learn to cook for the family.
The gradual disappearance of family meals has several effects. Firstly, having meals with family members is a great chance for them to bond with each other, so parents have less time to talk with their children, and spouses also lose an opportunity to share daily stories. On the social level, some traditions may be lost as a result of people eating out too often. Family values might not be appreciated when people do not feel the need to come back home after work for a meal. On special occasions such as New Year Eve, family feasts serve as an important event, and it is regretful that this tradition is gradually disappearing.
In conclusion, various factors are attributable to the disappearance of family meals. This has several damaging effects on both families and societies.
298 words — written by Vinh IELTS
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!