In the listening section of the IELTS test, you can come across thousands of words from different topics. Here is a list of commonly-used words in the IELTS listening test that you should keep in mind to avoid losing valuable marks.
- Days of the week: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday,Sunday, weekdays, weekend
- Months of the year: January, February, March, April, May, June, July August, September, October, November, December
- Hobbies: gardening, stamp collection, orienteering, caving, spelunking, scuba-diving, snorkeling, skateboarding, bowls, archery, ice skating, darts, golf, billiards, photography, painting, embroidery, climbing, chess, parachute, pottery, woodcarving.
- Subjects: science, politics, architecture, law, geography, history, biology, archaeology, literature, statistics, mathematics, performing arts, visual arts, logic, physics, psychology, anthropology, economics, philosophy, chemistry, humanities, business management, agriculture.
- Marketing: catalogue, interview, research method, entertainment industry, TV program, strategies, leadership, management, customer, special offer, collecting data, display, products, questionnaire, survey, mass media, poll, business card, training, trainee, statistic, profit margin, newsletter, competition, merchandise, manufacture, recruitment.
- Studying at college/university: course outline, group discussion, handout, research, Proofreading, experiment, written work, report writing, experience, reference, textbook, student advisor, teamwork, module, topic, dictionary, laptop, printer, assessment, library, department, computer centre, classroom, attendance, deadline, give a talk, speech, lecture, tutor, main hall, computer laboratory, certificate, diploma, placement test, facilities, college, dining room, specialist, knowledge, international, accommodation, overseas students, full-time, home stay, primary, secondary, intermediate, media room, commencement, dissertation, leaflet, school reunion, feedback, tasks, outcomes, advanced, introductory, extra background, resources room, staff, higher education, guidelines, post-secondary, faculty, pupils, pencil, supervisor, bachelor’s degree, compound, foreign students, schedule, vocabulary, student support services, student retention, publication, registrar’s office, stationery.
- Works and jobs: designer, occupation, profession, decorator, architect, engineer, waiter, teacher, vacancy, professor, specialist, manager, waitress, psychologist، volunteer, craftsman ,work experience, curriculum vitae, freelance, secretary, mail address, receptionist, pilot, lecturer, office assistant, clerk, accountant, guard, flight attendant, cashier, captain
- Health: yoga, tai-chi, keep-fit, salad bar, vegetarian, outdoor activities, leisure time, disease, meal, protein, balanced diet, food pyramid, vitamin, carbohydrates, rice, pasta, potatoes, pizza, tomatoes, bread, cereals, minerals, zinc, meat, seafood, eggs, beans, milk, cheese, yoghurt, fruit, vegetables, citrus fruits, green pepper, blackcurrant, nuts, egg yolk, liver, medicine، treatment, remedy, nursing care, nursery, regular exercise.
- Nature: field, footbridge, river, mountain, forest, village, environment, waterfall, coast, reef, lake, valley, peninsula, earthquake, avalanche, tornado, typhoon, hill, cliff, island, desertification, volcano, disaster, landslides, storm, flood, hurricane, pond, catastrophe, erosion, jungle, oasis, dam, canyon
- The environment: coal, fossil fuels, acid rain, global warming, carbon dioxide, greenhouse effect, burning fossil, exhaust fumes, smog, climate, pollution, temperature, power plants, deforestation, nitrogen oxide, landfill, cattle, wind turbine, renewable, source of energy, reliable, solar panels, solar power, hydroelectric power, environmentally friendly, oxygen, chemical-free, vegetation, sea level, ocean currents, soil conditioner, firewood, desert, degradation, drought, contaminated.
- Continents: Australia, Africa, South America, North America, Asia, Europe, Antarctica
- Countries: Switzerland, Turkey, England, Egypt, Mexico, Germany, Greece, Brazil, India, North Korea, the dominican republic, tFrance, Indonesia, India, Malaysia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, China, Italy, Nigeria, Pakistan, Singapore, the Philippines, Denmark.
- Languages: Japanese, German, linguistics, bilingual, trilingual, polyglot, Portuguese, Mandarin, Bengali, Chinese, Hindi, Russian, Punjabi, Thai, Persian, Filipino, French, Italian, Greek, French
- Architecture and buildings: dome, palace, fort, castle, glasshouse, pyramid, log cabin, lighthouse, hut, skyscraper, sculpture
- Homes: chimney, bedroom, semi-detached house, duplex, town house, row house, bungalow, thatched cottage, mobile home, houseboat, block of flats, apartment building, condominium,basement, landlord, terraced house, tenant, rent, lease, neighborhood, suburb,dormitory, storey, kitchen, refrigerator, microwave, sofa, coffee table, ground floor, oven, hallway, insurance
- In the city: central station, cities, street, lane, city centre,car park, department store, bridge, temple, hospital, garden, avenue, embassy, road system
- Transportations: boat, lifeboat, cargo plane, shipment, container ship, ferry, liner, canal boat, narrowboat, dinghy sailing, hovercraft, hydrofoil, sailboat, paddle steamer, cabin cruiser, kayak, canoe, punt, gondola, aircraft, rowing boat, rowboat, helicopter, seaplane, airship, hot-air balloon, airport, platform, hire a car, automobile, ,crew, passenger.
- Workplaces: staff selection, clinic, dentist, reception, appointment, colleague, workshop, employer, employment, unemployed, technical cooperation, team leaders, showroom, information desk, stress, ability, vision,employee, internship, confidence.
- Places: parliament, accommodation, local library, swimming pool, cafeteria, cottage, restaurant, bookshop, sports centre, city council, canteen, cafe, dance studio, park, conversation club, kindergarten
- Money matters: cash, debit, low-risk investment, credit card, cheque, annual fee, monthly membership,tuition fees, poverty, bank statement, money management, current account, interest rate, deposit, student account, withdraw, mortgage, grace period, in advance, budget deficit,retail voucher, coupon، counterfeit money, debt, interest-free credit, purchase, partial refund, annuity, public money, taxpayers’ money, income, non-refundable, MasterCard, VISA, duty-free store, distribution costs, finance department, family finances.
- Rating and qualities: expensive, cheap, reasonable, satisfactory, dangerous,poor quality, satisfied, disappointed, efficient, luxurious, safe, strongly recommended, colored, spotted, striped.
- Touring: souvenir, trip, tourist guided tour, ticket office, guest, reservation, view, culture, single double bedded room, picnic, tourist attraction, hostel, suite, memorable, aquarium.
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!