1200 Commonly Repeated spellings of Words in the IELTS Listening Test
Vocabulary is allocated 25% of marks for all 4 categories of IELTS test, that is, Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening. You must know the pronunciations as well as the spellings of all the repeated words that come in the IELTS exam. It can contribute to fetching you a high band. Developing the English language is very important in order to ace the IELTS test.
In the listening section of the IELTS test, you can come across thousands of words from different topics. Here is a list of commonly-used words in the IELTS listening test that you should keep in mind to avoid losing valuable marks. Be warned, some of these words are commonly misspelled by IELTS test takers.
Contents $18 Written by professional IELTS teachers to help candidates on the big day
IELTS Listening Recent Tests 2020 (Ebook + Audio + Tapescripts)
Written by professional IELTS teachers to help candidates on the big day
- Days of the week: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, weekdays, weekend
- Months of the year: January, February, March, April, May, June, July August, September, October, November, December
- Hobbies: gardening, stamp collection, orienteering, caving, spelunking, scuba diving, snorkeling, skateboarding, bowls, archery, ice skating, darts, golf, billiards, photography, painting, embroidery, climbing, chess, parachute, pottery, woodcarving.
- Subjects: science, politics, architecture, law, geography, history, biology, archaeology, literature, statistics, mathematics, performing arts, visual arts, logic, physics, psychology, anthropology, economics, philosophy, chemistry, humanities, business management, agriculture.
- Marketing: catalogue, interview, research method, entertainment industry, TV program, strategies, leadership, management, customer, special offer, collecting data, display, products, questionnaire, survey, mass media, poll, business card, training, trainee, statistic, profit margin, newsletter, competition, merchandise, manufacture, recruitment.
- Studying at college/university: course outline, group discussion, handout, research, Proofreading, experiment, written work, report writing, experience, reference, textbook, student advisor, teamwork, module, topic, dictionary, laptop, printer, assessment, library, department, computer centre, classroom, attendance, deadline, give a talk, speech, lecture, tutor, main hall, computer laboratory, certificate, diploma, placement test, facilities, college, dining room, specialist, knowledge, international, accommodation, overseas students, full-time, homestay, primary, secondary, intermediate, media room, commencement, dissertation, leaflet, school reunion, feedback, tasks, outcomes, advanced, introductory, extra background, resources room, staff, higher education, guidelines, post-secondary, faculty, pupils, pencil, supervisor, bachelor’s degree, compound, foreign students, schedule, vocabulary, student support services, student retention, publication, registrar’s office, stationery.
- Works and jobs: designer, occupation, profession, decorator, architect, engineer, waiter, teacher, vacancy, professor, specialist, manager, waitress, psychologist، volunteer, craftsman, work experience, curriculum vitae, freelance, secretary, mail address, receptionist, pilot, lecturer, office assistant, clerk, accountant, guard, flight attendant, cashier, captain
- Health: yoga, tai-chi, keep-fit, salad bar, vegetarian, outdoor activities, leisure time, disease, meal, protein, balanced diet, food pyramid, vitamin, carbohydrates, rice, pasta, potatoes, pizza, tomatoes, bread, cereals, minerals, zinc, meat, seafood, eggs, beans, milk, cheese, yoghurt, fruit, vegetables, citrus fruits, green pepper, blackcurrant, nuts, egg yolk, liver, medicine، treatment, remedy, nursing care, nursery, regular exercise.
- Nature: field, footbridge, river, mountain, forest, village, environment, waterfall, coast, reef, lake, valley, peninsula, earthquake, avalanche, tornado, typhoon, hill, cliff, island, desertification, volcano, disaster, landslides, storm, flood, hurricane, pond, catastrophe, erosion, jungle, oasis, dam, canyon
- The environment: coal, fossil fuels, acid rain, global warming, carbon dioxide, greenhouse effect, burning fossil, exhaust fumes, smog, climate, pollution, temperature, power plants, deforestation, nitrogen oxide, landfill, cattle, wind turbine, renewable, source of energy, reliable, solar panels, solar power, hydroelectric power, environmentally friendly, oxygen, chemical-free, vegetation, sea level, ocean currents, soil conditioner, firewood, desert, degradation, drought, contaminated.
- Continents: Australia, Africa, South America, North America, Asia, Europe, Antarctica
- Countries: Switzerland, Turkey, England, Egypt, Mexico, Germany, Greece, Brazil, India, North Korea, the Dominican Republic, France, Indonesia, India, Malaysia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, China, Italy, Nigeria, Pakistan, Singapore, the Philippines, Denmark.
- Languages: Japanese, German, linguistics, bilingual, trilingual, polyglot, Portuguese, Mandarin, Bengali, Chinese, Hindi, Russian, Punjabi, Thai, Persian, Filipino, French, Italian, Greek, French
- Architecture and buildings: dome, palace, fort, castle, glasshouse, pyramid, log cabin, lighthouse, hut, skyscraper, sculpture
- Homes: chimney, bedroom, semi-detached house, duplex, townhouse, row house, bungalow, thatched cottage, mobile home, houseboat, a block of flats, apartment building, condominium, basement, landlord, terraced house, tenant, rent, lease, neighborhood, suburb, dormitory, story, kitchen, refrigerator, microwave, sofa, coffee table, ground floor, oven, hallway, insurance
- In the city: central station, cities, street, lane, city centre, car park, department store, bridge, temple, hospital, garden, avenue, embassy, road system
- Transportations: boat, lifeboat, cargo plane, shipment, container ship, ferry, liner, canal boat, narrowboat, dinghy sailing, hovercraft, hydrofoil, sailboat, paddle steamer, cabin cruiser, kayak, canoe, punt, gondola, aircraft, rowing boat, rowboat, helicopter, seaplane, airship, hot-air balloon, airport, platform, hire a car, automobile, crew, passenger.
- Workplaces: staff selection, clinic, dentist, reception, appointment, colleague, workshop, employer, employment, unemployed, technical cooperation, team leaders, showroom, information desk, stress, ability, vision, employee, internship, confidence.
- Places: parliament, accommodation, local library, swimming pool, cafeteria, cottage, restaurant, bookshop, sports centre, city council, canteen, cafe, dance studio, park, conversation club, kindergarten
- Money matters: cash, debit, low-risk investment, credit card, cheque, annual fee, monthly membership, tuition fees, poverty, bank statement, money management, current account, interest rate, deposit, student account, withdraw, mortgage, grace period, in advance, budget deficit, retail voucher, coupon، counterfeit money, debt, interest-free credit, purchase, partial refund, annuity, public money, taxpayers’ money, income, non-refundable, MasterCard, VISA, duty-free store, distribution costs, finance department, family finances.
- Rating and qualities: expensive, cheap, reasonable, satisfactory, dangerous, poor quality, satisfied, disappointed, efficient, luxurious, safe, strongly recommended, coloured, spotted, striped.
- Touring: souvenir, trip, tourist guided tour, ticket office, guest, reservation, view, culture, single double-bedded room, picnic, tourist attraction, hostel, suite, memorable, aquarium.
- Adjectives: energetic, social, ancient, necessary, fantastic, exciting, fabulous, dull, comfortable, convenient, suitable, affordable, voluntary، mandatory, compulsory, temporary, permanent, Immense, vast, salty, extinct, vulnerable, pessimistic, optimistic, realistic, practical, knowledgeable, flexible, confident, Western, intensive, tranquil, spectacular, intact, various
- Verbs: train, develop, collect, supervise, mark, edit, revise, exhibit, donate, surpass, register, support, hunt, persuade, concentrate, discuss, suggest, arrange, borrow, immigrate, review, learn, touch.
- Sports: jet-skiing, bodyboarding, snowboarding, cricket, baseball, basketball, rugby, hang-gliding, skydiving, soccer, American football, hockey, swimming, tennis, squash, the javelin, badminton, ping-pong, field, court, pitch, stadium, team, the discus, the hammer, the high jump, horse racing, show jumping, polo, cycling, canoeing, refreshment, gymnasium, extreme sports, paragliding, abseiling, athlete, gym, bungee jumping, white-water rafting, surfing, windsurfing, kitesurfing, mountain biking, push-up, judo, recreation, jogging, press-up, snooker, walking, barbell, treadmill, championship.
- Shapes: Oval, Square, rectangular, triangular, polygon, spherical, circular, curved, cylindrical, three dimensions, Measurement width, length, altitude, imperial system, metric system, spiral, Mass, depth, breadth, height, frequency
- Weather: humid, hot, sticky, breeze, chilly, cold, cool, dry, dusty, freezing, hot, warm, wet, weather forecast, antenna, moisture,
- Equipment and tools: helmet, light, musical instrument, cassette, silicon chip, digital monitor, gadget, device, screen, breaks, wheels, mechanical pencil, disk, backpack,
- The arts and media: Opera, Orchestra, concert, symphony, the press, conductor, vocalist, audience, festival, carnival, exhibition, classical music, theatre, cinemas, art gallery, museum, ballet, television, radio, graphics, newspaper
- The animal kingdom: lion, penguin, seabirds, poultry and game, birds of prey, mammals, genus, species, cetacean, whale, primates, rodents, reptile, insects, octopus, phylum, fish, amphibian, class, order, family, livestock, creature, plants: mushroom, fungus, stem, roots, cluster, fertilizer, leaves, seed, core, bark, trunk, twig, branch, flower.
- Vehicles: camper, double-decker bus, single-decker, minibus, forklift truck, school bus, coach, truck, tanker, van, lorry, transporter, tow truck, breakdown truck, pickup, jeep, taxi, cab, tram, underground, subway, caravan, tractor, stream train, freight train, a goods train
- Expressions and time: midday, three times, three times per week, millennium, a gap year, fulltime, part-time, midnight, century, decade, fortnight.
- Materials: aluminum, copper, fur, metal, steel, rubber, plastic, ceramics, cement, stone, textile, cotton, fabric, wool, glass, leather, bone, paper, lumber/wood, glue, concrete, wax, paper, wood, silver, composite, fiberglass, gold, feather
- Colour: blue, white, orange, green, grey, black, red, yellow, purple, brown, pink
- Other: sufficient, dialogue, passport photo, state, variety, private sector, practice, gender, creativity, government, individual, original inhabitant, indigenous, demonstration, circuit, guarantee, commerce, carriage, narrative, strike, entrance, chocolate, satellite, decision, prototype, attitude, activity, recipient, ultrasound, pedestrian safety, daily routine, personal fulfilment, traffic jams, procedures, creation, senior, opportunity, driving license, prize, junior, process, literary, man-made, republicans, waiting list, sewer systems, liberal democracy, democrats, umbrella, frequently updated, lunar calendar, libertarian, burger, videos, fund-raising event, magnet, dialect, ramification, straight, nature conservation, life expectancy, farewell, welfare, encyclopedia, illiteracy, robot, proficiency, evolution, revolution.
Download PDF File: 1200 Commonly Repeated Words for IELTS Listening
Also check :
Do spellings matter in IELTS test?
Yes. You are marked for the correctness of your spellings.
Should I follow American or British spelling? For example, it is color in Amercian and colour in British?
Please stick to the British variant. It is “Colour”
Should I use “z” or “s” in words like familiari[s/z]e, urbani[s/z]ation ?
Please follow the British variant here also. Use “s”.
In cases like ” New Zealand” will I lose marks if I write “Newzealand”?
In cases like “snorkeling” will I lose marks if I write “snorkelling”? I ask this question because, it shows that I know the word, only the “l” is extra?
Yes, you will lose marks. You are supposed to be aware of the correct spelling.