1200 Commonly Repeated Words – IELTS Listening Spelling List for a top score.
The Most Commonly Repeated Spellings of Words for IELTS Listening Test
An IELTS Listening spelling list will help you hone your language skills while preparing for the exam. Vocabulary is allocated 25% of marks for all 4 categories of the IELTS test, that is, Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening. In the Listening section of the IELTS test, you can come across thousands of words from different topics. You must know the pronunciations as well as the spellings of all the repeated words that come in the IELTS exam. It can contribute to fetching you a high band. Developing the English language is very important in order to ace the IELTS test.
Correct responses are the foundation for a high IELTS Listening score. This means that you earn one point for each question you successfully answer correctly. For erroneous responses, you don’t lose points. An answer must be spelt correctly in order for it to be accepted. Any incorrectly spelt response will be marked as incorrect. For consideration, the IELTS recognises both British and American English spelling.
For example, people are prone to making mistakes in the spelling of words like preparation, material, listening, repeat, tuition, etc.
Moreover, knowing the correct usage and spelling of these words will also enable you to communicate fluently even after your IELTS days are behind you. So, read our IELTS Listening spelling list to know the correct spelling of 1200 oft-repeated English words in the IELTS test that will help you during and beyond IELTS.
Here is a list of the most commonly used words in the IELTS listening test that you should keep in mind to avoid losing valuable marks. Be warned, some of these words are commonly misspelt by IELTS test takers.
List of Words in Listening Test
- Days of the week: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, weekdays, weekend
- Months of the year: January, February, March, April, May, June, July August, September, October, November, December
- Hobbies: gardening, stamp collection, orienteering, caving, spelunking, scuba diving, snorkeling, skateboarding, bowls, archery, ice skating, darts, golf, billiards, photography, painting, embroidery, climbing, chess, parachute, pottery, woodcarving.
- Subjects: science, politics, architecture, law, geography, history, biology, archaeology, literature, statistics, mathematics, performing arts, visual arts, logic, physics, psychology, anthropology, economics, philosophy, chemistry, humanities, business management, agriculture.
- Marketing: catalogue, interview, research method, entertainment industry, TV program, strategies, leadership, management, customer, special offer, collecting data, display, products, questionnaire, survey, mass media, poll, business card, training, trainee, statistic, profit margin, newsletter, competition, merchandise, manufacture, recruitment.
- Studying at college/university: course outline, group discussion, handout, research, Proofreading, experiment, written work, report writing, experience, reference, textbook, student advisor, teamwork, module, topic, dictionary, laptop, printer, assessment, library, department, computer centre, classroom, attendance, deadline, give a talk, speech, lecture, tutor, main hall, computer laboratory, certificate, diploma, placement test, facilities, college, dining room, specialist, knowledge, international, accommodation, overseas students, full-time, homestay, primary, secondary, intermediate, media room, commencement, dissertation, leaflet, school reunion, feedback, tasks, outcomes, advanced, introductory, extra background, resources room, staff, higher education, guidelines, post-secondary, faculty, pupils, pencil, supervisor, bachelor’s degree, compound, foreign students, schedule, vocabulary, student support services, student retention, publication, registrar’s office, stationery.
- Works and jobs: designer, occupation, profession, decorator, architect, engineer, waiter, teacher, vacancy, professor, specialist, manager, waitress, psychologist، volunteer, craftsman, work experience, curriculum vitae, freelance, secretary, mail address, receptionist, pilot, lecturer, office assistant, clerk, accountant, guard, flight attendant, cashier, captain
- Health: yoga, tai-chi, keep-fit, salad bar, vegetarian, outdoor activities, leisure time, disease, meal, protein, balanced diet, food pyramid, vitamin, carbohydrates, rice, pasta, potatoes, pizza, tomatoes, bread, cereals, minerals, zinc, meat, seafood, eggs, beans, milk, cheese, yoghurt, fruit, vegetables, citrus fruits, green pepper, blackcurrant, nuts, egg yolk, liver, medicine، treatment, remedy, nursing care, nursery, regular exercise.
- Nature: field, footbridge, river, mountain, forest, village, environment, waterfall, coast, reef, lake, valley, peninsula, earthquake, avalanche, tornado, typhoon, hill, cliff, island, desertification, volcano, disaster, landslides, storm, flood, hurricane, pond, catastrophe, erosion, jungle, oasis, dam, canyon
- The environment: coal, fossil fuels, acid rain, global warming, carbon dioxide, greenhouse effect, burning fossil, exhaust fumes, smog, climate, pollution, temperature, power plants, deforestation, nitrogen oxide, landfill, cattle, wind turbine, renewable, source of energy, reliable, solar panels, solar power, hydroelectric power, environmentally friendly, oxygen, chemical-free, vegetation, sea level, ocean currents, soil conditioner, firewood, desert, degradation, drought, contaminated.
- Continents: Australia, Africa, South America, North America, Asia, Europe, Antarctica
- Countries: Switzerland, Turkey, England, Egypt, Mexico, Germany, Greece, Brazil, India, North Korea, the Dominican Republic, France, Indonesia, India, Malaysia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, China, Italy, Nigeria, Pakistan, Singapore, the Philippines, Denmark.
- Languages: Japanese, German, linguistics, bilingual, trilingual, polyglot, Portuguese, Mandarin, Bengali, Chinese, Hindi, Russian, Punjabi, Thai, Persian, Filipino, French, Italian, Greek, French
- Architecture and buildings: dome, palace, fort, castle, glasshouse, pyramid, log cabin, lighthouse, hut, skyscraper, sculpture
- Homes: chimney, bedroom, semi-detached house, duplex, townhouse, row house, bungalow, thatched cottage, mobile home, houseboat, a block of flats, apartment building, condominium, basement, landlord, terraced house, tenant, rent, lease, neighborhood, suburb, dormitory, story, kitchen, refrigerator, microwave, sofa, coffee table, ground floor, oven, hallway, insurance
- In the city: central station, cities, street, lane, city centre, car park, department store, bridge, temple, hospital, garden, avenue, embassy, road system
- Transportations: boat, lifeboat, cargo plane, shipment, container ship, ferry, liner, canal boat, narrowboat, dinghy sailing, hovercraft, hydrofoil, sailboat, paddle steamer, cabin cruiser, kayak, canoe, punt, gondola, aircraft, rowing boat, rowboat, helicopter, seaplane, airship, hot-air balloon, airport, platform, hire a car, automobile, crew, passenger.
- Workplaces: staff selection, clinic, dentist, reception, appointment, colleague, workshop, employer, employment, unemployed, technical cooperation, team leaders, showroom, information desk, stress, ability, vision, employee, internship, confidence.
- Places: parliament, accommodation, local library, swimming pool, cafeteria, cottage, restaurant, bookshop, sports centre, city council, canteen, cafe, dance studio, park, conversation club, kindergarten
- Money matters: cash, debit, low-risk investment, credit card, cheque, annual fee, monthly membership, tuition fees, poverty, bank statement, money management, current account, interest rate, deposit, student account, withdraw, mortgage, grace period, in advance, budget deficit, retail voucher, coupon، counterfeit money, debt, interest-free credit, purchase, partial refund, annuity, public money, taxpayers’ money, income, non-refundable, MasterCard, VISA, duty-free store, distribution costs, finance department, family finances.
- Rating and qualities: expensive, cheap, reasonable, satisfactory, dangerous, poor quality, satisfied, disappointed, efficient, luxurious, safe, strongly recommended, coloured, spotted, striped
- Touring: souvenir, trip, tourist guided tour, ticket office, guest, reservation, view, culture, single double-bedded room, picnic, tourist attraction, hostel, suite, memorable, aquarium.
- Adjectives: energetic, social, ancient, necessary, fantastic, exciting, fabulous, dull, comfortable, convenient, suitable, affordable, voluntary، mandatory, compulsory, temporary, permanent, Immense, vast, salty, extinct, vulnerable, pessimistic, optimistic, realistic, practical, knowledgeable, flexible, confident, Western, intensive, tranquil, spectacular, intact, various
- Verbs: train, develop, collect, supervise, mark, edit, revise, exhibit, donate, surpass, register, support, hunt, persuade, concentrate, discuss, suggest, arrange, borrow, immigrate, review, learn, touch.
- Sports: jet-skiing, bodyboarding, snowboarding, cricket, baseball, basketball, rugby, hang-gliding, skydiving, soccer, American football, hockey, swimming, tennis, squash, the javelin, badminton, ping-pong, field, court, pitch, stadium, team, the discus, the hammer, the high jump, horse racing, show jumping, polo, cycling, canoeing, refreshment, gymnasium, extreme sports, paragliding, abseiling, athlete, gym, bungee jumping, white-water rafting, surfing, windsurfing, kitesurfing, mountain biking, push-up, judo, recreation, jogging, press-up, snooker, walking, barbell, treadmill, championship.
- Shapes: Oval, Square, rectangular, triangular, polygon, spherical, circular, curved, cylindrical, three dimensions, Measurement width, length, altitude, imperial system, metric system, spiral, Mass, depth, breadth, height, frequency
- Weather: humid, hot, sticky, breeze, chilly, cold, cool, dry, dusty, freezing, hot, warm, wet, weather forecast, antenna, moisture,
- Equipment and tools: helmet, light, musical instrument, cassette, silicon chip, digital monitor, gadget, device, screen, breaks, wheels, mechanical pencil, disk, backpack,
- The arts and media: Opera, Orchestra, concert, symphony, the press, conductor, vocalist, audience, festival, carnival, exhibition, classical music, theatre, cinemas, art gallery, museum, ballet, television, radio, graphics, newspaper
- The animal kingdom: lion, penguin, seabirds, poultry and game, birds of prey, mammals, genus, species, cetacean, whale, primates, rodents, reptile, insects, octopus, phylum, fish, amphibian, class, order, family, livestock, creature, plants: mushroom, fungus, stem, roots, cluster, fertilizer, leaves, seed, core, bark, trunk, twig, branch, flower.
- Vehicles: camper, double-decker bus, single-decker, minibus, forklift truck, school bus, coach, truck, tanker, van, lorry, transporter, tow truck, breakdown truck, pickup, jeep, taxi, cab, tram, underground, subway, caravan, tractor, stream train, freight train, a goods train
- Expressions and time: midday, three times, three times per week, millennium, a gap year, fulltime, part-time, midnight, century, decade, fortnight.
- Materials: aluminum, copper, fur, metal, steel, rubber, plastic, ceramics, cement, stone, textile, cotton, fabric, wool, glass, leather, bone, paper, lumber/wood, glue, concrete, wax, paper, wood, silver, composite, fiberglass, gold, feather
- Colour: blue, white, orange, green, grey, black, red, yellow, purple, brown, pink
- Other: sufficient, dialogue, passport photo, state, variety, private sector, practice, gender, creativity, government, individual, original inhabitant, indigenous, demonstration, circuit, guarantee, commerce, carriage, narrative, strike, entrance, chocolate, satellite, decision, prototype, attitude, activity, recipient, ultrasound, pedestrian safety, daily routine, personal fulfilment, traffic jams, procedures, creation, senior, opportunity, driving license, prize, junior, process, literary, man-made, republicans, waiting list, sewer systems, liberal democracy, democrats, umbrella, frequently updated, lunar calendar, libertarian, burger, videos, fund-raising event, magnet, dialect, ramification, straight, nature conservation, life expectancy, farewell, welfare, encyclopedia, illiteracy, robot, proficiency, evolution, revolution.
Also check :
- IELTS Listening Answer Sheet
- IELTS listening recent actual test
- IELTS Listening tips
- How to Improve IELTS Listening Section 3 and 4?
- What is Signposting?
Frequently Asked Questions
Do spellings matter in IELTS test?
Should I follow American or British spelling? For example, it is color in Amercian and colour in British?
Should I use “z” or “s” in words like familiari[s/z]e, urbani[s/z]ation ?
In cases like ” New Zealand” will I lose marks if I write “Newzealand”?
In cases like “snorkeling” will I lose marks if I write “snorkelling”? I ask this question because, it shows that I know the word, only the “l” is extra?
Post your Comments
Posted on Dec 14, 2021
Thanks for this complete list of words 🙂
Posted on Oct 30, 2021
Super i recommend you SHOULD again and again list
Posted on Oct 17, 2021
Posted on Sep 4, 2021
Posted on Aug 8, 2021
Thanks for you copration , please I need ielts material of general training .
Posted on Aug 3, 2021
I want to say thank you because it was really useful for me specially on IELTS test.
Posted on Jul 21, 2021
This helped alot with my mistakes, Amazing work and thank you
Posted on Mar 12, 2020
Look at Cambridge 7 listening test 3! Type of job required:
Posted on Aug 26, 2019
Posted on Jul 23, 2019
Hello; is there any new update after 14th version? Thx again..
Posted on Mar 1, 2019
is “fulltime” really correct? I Googled and turns out full-time is the correct one…
Muhammad Zafar Afghan
Posted on Jan 9, 2019
Thank you very much for your efforts.
Posted on Nov 17, 2017
tFrance is a mistake or it is really in that form?
Posted on Sep 15, 2016
Hi Ielts material,
Thank you so much for the useful posted list.
Do we need to know some of common English names? If possible, please add some.
Posted on Sep 19, 2016
Hi, Many thanks for your comment. We are so sorry for missing common names in IELTS listening test. Please check out the list below:
Common Names for Boys: Andrew, Edward, Richard, Samuel, Timothy, Kenneth, Christopher, Thompson
Common Names for Girls: Catherine, Margaret, Samantha, Debbie, Rachael, Madeline, Charlotte, Claire, Rebecca, Lillie, Bridget
All the best!