IELTS General Training
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
The IELTS General Training test is an international English language test that is designed to assess the English language skills of people who are planning to migrate to an English-speaking country or find work or study in an English-speaking environment. The test is divided into four sections: Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll delve into everything you need to know about IELTS General Training, from its purpose and format to tips and resources for success.
Understanding IELTS General Training
IELTS General Training is primarily designed for individuals who are planning to immigrate to English-speaking countries for work, training programs, or secondary education.
Unlike the Academic module, which is intended for those pursuing higher education or professional registration, General Training focuses on everyday communication skills in a workplace and social context. So in short, the IELTS General Training Test is for those who plan to migrate to a foreign country for:
- Getting a better job
- Studying or training at a below degree educational level
- Get work-related training
IELTS General Training Test Duration
The total duration of the IELTS General Training test is 2 hours and 45 minutes. The test is divided into four sections, each of which has a set time limit:
- Listening: 30 minutes
- Reading: 60 minutes
- Writing: 60 minutes
- Speaking: 11-14 minutes
The Listening, Reading, and Writing sections are taken on the same day, one after the other, without any breaks. The Speaking test may either fall on the same day or any day up to a week before or after the test date.
IELTS General Training Registration Fees
The registration fee for IELTS General Training is typically the same as the registration fee for IELTS Academic. In India, the registration fee for both tests is currently INR 17,000. However, the fee may vary slightly depending on the test center and the country where you are taking the test.
IELTS General Training Test Format
The IELTS General Training test format for each section is mentioned below:
IELTS General Training Reading
- Section 1: 2-3 short texts related to everyday life in an English-speaking country
- Section 2: 2-3 short texts related to work
- Section 3: 1 long text from advertisements, guidebooks, or notices
In other words, the IELTS General Training Reading Test has a wider range of text types.
Check Out Our IELTS General Training Reading Mock Tests Here
IELTS General Training Writing Test
- The IELTS General Training Writing Test for Task 1 and Task 2 are both 60 minutes long, with two tasks each.
- In Task 1 General Training Writing Test, you will be asked to write a letter, while in IELTS Writing Task 2 of general training, you will be asked to write an essay of at least 250 words.
IELTS General Training Listening
- The IELTS Listening Test is 30 minutes long, with 4 sections of 10 questions each.
- The difficulty level increases after each section, and each question is worth 1 mark.
- Paper-based test takers have an additional 10 minutes to transfer answers to the answer sheets, while computer-based test takers have an additional 2 minutes for rechecking answers.
IELTS General Training Speaking
The IELTS Speaking Test is a 12-14 minute interview that consists of 3 parts:
- IELTS Speaking Part 1: General questions about yourself, such as your childhood, background, family, friends, and hobbies.
- IELTS Speaking Part 2: A long turn where you speak about a given topic for 1-2 minutes, with 1 minute to prepare.
- IELTS Speaking Part 3: A discussion about the topic you spoke about in Part 2.
IELTS General Training Scoring
Each section of the IELTS General Training test is scored on a scale of 0 to 9. The overall general training IELTS score is calculated by averaging the scores from the four sections. A score of 7 or higher is generally considered to be a good score for the IELTS General Training test.
How to Prepare for the IELTS General Training Test?
The best way to prepare for the IELTS General Training test is to practice all four sections of the test regularly. There are many resources available to help you prepare, such as practice tests, IELTS online training courses, and IELTS training tutors. Here are some specific tips for preparing for IELTS GT exam:
- Understand the Test Format: Familiarize yourself with the test format, including the types of questions in each section. This will help you develop effective strategies.
- Practice Regularly: Consistent practice is key to success. Use official IELTS practice materials and take full-length practice tests to get a feel for the timing and difficulty.
- Improve Your English Skills: Enhance your language skills by reading newspapers, listening to podcasts, and engaging in conversations with native speakers.
- Time Management: Learn to manage your time effectively during the test. Don’t spend too long on one question; move on if you’re unsure.
- Take Professional Guidance/ Enroll in IELTS Online Training Courses: Consider enrolling in an IELTS online training course or hiring an IELTS training tutor who can provide personalized feedback and guidance.
IELTS General Training Books
There are many IELTS General Training books available, some of which are specifically designed for the IELTS General Training module. These IELTS General Training books include practice test questions, mock questions, practice tests, and expert tips and tricks to help you succeed on the General Training module.
However, one of the most popular IELTS General Training book series is offered by IELTSMaterial. This IELTS online training platform offers a combo of IELTS General Training books to help students achieve their desired IELTS band score in general training.
IELTS Online Training
In addition to its IELTS General Training books, IELTSMaterial also offers live learning sessions and conducts IELTS online training courses tailored to individuals preparing for the IELTS General Training module.
Be sure to explore their IELTS General Training books or schedule a trial session to gain further insights into their IELTS Online Training Classes designed specifically for the General Training module.
Not sure how to prepare for the IELTS General Training? Sign up for a free trial session to learn more!
IELTS General Training: A Key to Success in English-speaking Countries
The IELTS General Training test is a valuable tool for people who want to work, study, or live in English-speaking countries. By understanding the test format, scoring, and effective preparation strategies, you can increase your chances of getting the band score you need to achieve your goals.
Remember success in IELTS General Training is not just about being fluent in English. It’s also important to know how the test is structured, how it’s scored, and what to expect on test day. By being well-prepared, you can reduce your anxiety and increase your chances of success.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is IELTS General easier than academic?
The difficulty of IELTS General Training versus IELTS Academic depends on your individual strengths and goals. General Training may be considered easier by some, as it focuses on everyday language skills, while Academic is more suited for academic purposes.
2. Is the ielts general training booking different from ielts academic booking?
The booking process for IELTS General Training and IELTS Academic is typically the same, but you must select the appropriate module when registering to ensure you take the correct test.
3. Name some reliable IELTS online training platform for a beginner?
Some reliable IELTS online training platforms for beginners include “IELTSMaterial, Magoosh IELTS, and “IELTS Liz.” These courses offer comprehensive IELTS general training materials and practice resources to help you prepare effectively.
4. Is the IELTS General Training score suitable for university admissions or academic purposes?
No, the IELTS General Training score is typically not accepted for academic purposes, such as university admissions. You should take the IELTS Academic module for academic-related applications.
5. Can I switch between IELTS General Training and IELTS Academic tests?
Yes, you can choose which module to take, either IELTS General Training or IELTS Academic, based on your specific needs and goals when you register for the test.
Check out the following practice tests to prepare for the ielts exam general training test:
Frequently Asked Questions
What do we write the general exam?
What does the reading section of general have?
What is a good band score for general?
How is the writing task 1 different for general?
Is the speaking section conducted in the same way for general?