The IELTS Listening practice test will go up to 30 minutes and you will be getting an extra 10 minutes of time to transfer the answer to the answer sheets.
If you are practicing the test online, there will be 4 different web pages and you need to go through these web pages very swiftly so that you do not miss out with the time and you can also practice in a realistic way.
If you are practicing the test offline then you need to download the question paper as well as the blank answer sheet before taking the test. You can write the answers on the question paper using the pencil while listening to the audios played.
There will be four parts in the listening test and for each of the parts there will be specific time which is allotted and after listening to the audios the test taker will get separate 10 minutes to transfer the answers to the answer sheet.
For people with disabilities, they will make special arrangements and if the person wants any modified arrangements then he/she should contact a specific test center 3 months in advance.
- 1 Things to be kept in mind by the test takers
- 2 Practice Listening at Home
- 3 How to Review your Practice Test
Things to be kept in mind by the test takers
There are certain things which should be kept in mind by the test takers while taking the IELTS listening test:
- Should not open the question paper until the examiner asks you to do so.
- Write your correct name and candidate number given on the top of the page.
- There will be 4 parts in the listening test and each test will be different from others. So you need to listen to the instructions of each part carefully.
- Do not skip any of the questions, try to answer all.
- You can write the answer on the question paper while listening to the audio.
- Use a pencil while writing the answer on the question paper.
- At the end of all the recordings, you will have extra time to transfer your answers to the extra sheet that is provided.
Practice Listening at Home
You can practice for the listening test very comfortably sitting at home. In order to do this you need to focus on certain things like:
Finding out the skills needed for listening
The examiner will ask you to read the question before actually playing the audio. While practicing at home even you need to do the same and you should be able to predict what will be the audio about while looking at the question.
Understand the synonyms and paraphrasing
Sometimes the words used in audio may not be the same in the question and the paraphrasing made in both also might be different. So, you must be able to find out the sentences that match one another and also should be able to write the correct answer.
Should understand the connected speech
When the native speaker speaks English it is actually a little difficult to understand. This is mainly because of the usage of connected speech. Some teachers when they teach the English language they speak slowly in order to understand by the students, but this actually harms the understanding of the students, instead of helping them. So it is important to understand the connected speech in the Listening test.
Recognize the signposting
It is not possible to concentrate on the audio that is played fully, even the native speaker will not be able to concentrate on the recordings 100%. In order to get a practice of this, you need to simply listen to the lectures and when you listen to some difficult words in the audio you can pause and find out the meaning of the same.
Listening to two persons speaking
When two people speak there will always one person agreeing and another person disagreeing. You need to find out whether there are two people in the conversation and try to put yourself in one of the person’s place and try to understand the conversation.
Taking the notes
If you want to practice this skill, more and more you need to listen to the lectures and take the notes as the lecture goes on so that it becomes realistic. Everybody as their own way of note-taking, so it is up to you how you take notes but the note taken should be understood by you. After you note down everything check for the spellings if you have written the correct spellings.
How to Review your Practice Test
There are some points through which you can review the listening practice you have taken, they are as follows:
- Whether you have completed your listening test through complete exam cognition.
- You need to identify any particular question that you found difficult while practicing the listening test.
- Know your mistakes and try to analyze them.
- You need to also find out the reason for the mistakes and in which part do the mistakes take place.
- Try to know the weakest areas first and try to overcome them.
- Repeat the process until you get your desired score.
Here is the list of Listening Practice Tests which will help you in IELTS Listening test