The IELTS Listening practice test will be for 30 minutes and you will be getting an extra 10 minutes of time to transfer the answers to the answer sheets.
If you are practising the test online, there will be 4 different web pages and you need to go through these web pages very quickly.
If you are practising the test offline then you have to download the question paper as well as the blank answer sheet before taking the test. You can write the answers on the question paper using a pencil while listening to the audios played.
There will be four parts in the listening test and there will be a specific time allotted for each of them. After listening to the audios the test taker will get 10 minutes to transfer the answers to the answer sheet.
For people with disabilities, they will make special arrangements and if the person wants any modification in the arrangements then he/she should contact the specific test centre, 3 months in advance.
- 1 Things to be kept in mind by the test takers
- 2 Practice Listening at Home
- 3 How to Review your Practice Test?
Things to be kept in mind by the test takers
There are certain things which should be borne in mind while taking the IELTS listening test:
- Don’t open the question paper until the examiner directs you to do so.
- Write your name and candidate number on the top of the page.
- There will be 4 parts in the listening test and each test will be unique. So you need to listen to the instructions of each part carefully.
- Do not skip any of the questions. Try to answer all.
- You can write the answer on the question paper while listening to the audio.
- Use a pencil while writing the answer on the question paper.
- At the end of all the recordings, you will have extra time to transfer your answers to the extra sheet that is provided.
Practice Listening at Home
You can practice for the listening test at the comfort of your home. In order to do this, you need to focus on certain things like:
Finding out the skills needed for listening
The examiner will ask you to read the question before playing the audio. While practising at home, you need to do the same and you should be able to predict the audio content by looking at the question.
Understand the synonyms and paraphrasing
Sometimes the words used in audio may not be the same as that of the question and the paraphrasing may also be difficult to comprehend. So, you should listen carefully to write the correct answer.
Should understand different slangs
Native speaker’s English will be quite difficult to understand. But you will be able to overcome this by watching recommended English movies and listening to English Songs. Wide exposure to such English will facilitate a better understanding of the audios played in the actual test.
Recognize the signposting
It is not possible to concentrate on the audio that is played 100%. Native speakers too will not be able to do this. In order to practice this, you need to listen to the lectures and when you hear some difficult words in the audio you can pause and find out the meaning of the same.
Listening to two people speaking
When two people speak there will always be one person agreeing and another person disagreeing. You need to find out whether there are two people in the conversation and empathise with one person and try to understand the conversation.
Taking the notes
You need to listen to the lectures and make the notes as the lecture goes on. Everybody has their own way of notes-making, so it is up to you to take meaningful notes. After you note down everything, check for the correctness of the spellings.
How to Review your Practice Test?
There are some points through which you can review the listening practice you have taken. They are as follows:
- Whether you have completed your listening test in a complete cognition.
- You need to identify questions that you found difficult while practising the listening test.
- Know your mistakes and try to analyze them.
- You also need to identify areas where the mistakes occur.
- Find the weakest areas and try to overcome them.
- Repeat the process until you get your desired score.
Here is the list of Listening Practice Tests which will help you in IELTS Listening test
Also, check for other IELTS Practice test