In IELTS Speaking Part 2, the examiner will give you a cue card or a task card which will consist of 3-4 questions along with some instructions on how to answer the topics. Once you get the topic, you’ll be given one minute to prepare yourself on the given topic, after which you will have to speak for around 1-2 minutes until the examiner asks you to stop. Here, the examiner will check your usage of grammar and vocabulary, and your ability to frame sentences while talking. Speaking for 2 minutes may seem like a long time if you haven’t practised or if you’re not used to speaking in English on a regular basis. That is why it is advisable to practice well for the speaking test.
IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics 2019
Explore the list of Speaking Part 2 topics based 2019 past IELTS examination
IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics 2020
Explore the list of Speaking Part 2 topics 2020 based on recent IELTS Speaking actual test
IELTS Speaking Part 2 Tips
Want to prepare for IELTS Speaking part 2? Here are some useful tips to prepare for your IELTS Speaking part 2 examination
Practice Using Sample Cue Cards
One way to prepare yourself for the Speaking Part 2 Test is by practising while referring to sample cue cards. During the test, you’ll be given a cue card, also known as a task card. This card will consist of a personal question and supporting questions on the given topic. You can prepare yourself for this by referring to cue card samples and practice speaking about respective topics for 2 minutes each. While practising you should try to focus on language fluency, grammar and vocabulary. The more you practice, the more confident you’ll be during the test!
Describe a country you have visited.
You should talk about:
- Where is this country?
- When did you visit it?
- What are the interesting things about this country?
Steps in IELTS speaking part 2 exam
- The examiner will give you a cue card in which the topic will be mentioned along with the points that you should mainly focus on. The topic given will be related to personal experiences.
- The examiner will then give you one minute to prepare. You’ll have to plan and create a story/idea to speak about relating to the topic. A paper and pencil will be provided so that you can pen down your ideas on the paper if you wish.
- Soon after your one-minute preparation, the examiner will ask you to speak about the given topic.
- While speaking, you should try to speak without hesitating or pausing for too long. While speaking the examiner will not interrupt you, he/she will only nod to encourage you.
- Soon after the 2 minutes get over, the examiner will stop you and ask you a few questions relating to what you spoke about, and you’ll have to give short answers for the same.
Assessment Criteria of IELTS Speaking Part 2
There are 4 criteria based on which your IELTS speaking part 2 is assessed:
- Fluency and Coherence:
While speaking the examiner will check how fluently you can speak by using proper grammar and vocabulary. Hesitating and being in a loss of words is acceptable if it’s once in a while but not if it happens too much.
- Lexical Resource:
While speaking you have to make sure to use a variety of idioms with proper vocabulary and grammar. This will show that you have a flexible usage of the language.
You must use correct grammar and structured sentences. It’s very important to avoid making grammatical mistakes while speaking.
While speaking, it is important to make sure you’re pronouncing the words in the correct manner and in a way that is clearly understandable for the examiner. A helpful tip would be, to try to speak slowly and calmly. Avoid speaking too fast as you could have the risk of not being understandable, which may result in your score being reduced.
IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics
Here is the list of IELTS Speaking Part 2 topics.
- 100 IELTS speaking part 2 topics in 2016 2017 sample answers
- 47 IELTS speaking part 2 topics for IELTS exam may august 2016
- 50 IELTS speaking part 2 3 topics 2020 with model answers
- 52 IELTS speaking part 2 topics 2017 model answers
- 52 IELTS speaking part 2 topics for IELTS exam September December 2016 band 8 0 sample answers
- band 9 sample for IELTS speaking part 2 in 2019 topic describe a time when you received money as a gift
- IELTS speaking part 2 3 bands 9 sample topic happy marriage
- IELTS speaking part 2 3 topics interesting speech sample band 9
- IELTS speaking part 2 band 9 sample topic describes an important event that you celebrated
- IELTS speaking part 2 in 2017 topic English lesson
- IELTS speaking part 2 in 2018 topic sports match band 9 sample answer
- IELTS speaking part 2 topic favourite clothes band 9 sample
- IELTS speaking part 2 topic tv drama series model answers
- IELTS speaking part 2 topics 2017 model answers
- IELTS speaking part 2 topics 2017 sample answers
IELTS Speaking Part 2 Samples
Here is the list for IELTS Speaking part 2 Samples answers.
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Cue Card Samples
- 40 IELTS speaking part 2 tips questions and band 9 sample answers
- Band 8 0 sample answers for 10 IELTS speaking part 2 cue cards
- Band 9 sample for IELTS speaking part 2 describe a present you received which was made by hand
- IELTS speaking part 2 sample a quiz program or game show on tv
- IELTS speaking part 2 sample a time when you got up early
- IELTS speaking part 2 sample a water sport you would like to try
- IELTS speaking part 2 sample an occasion when the vehicle broke down
- IELTS speaking part 2 sample describe a healthy lifestyle you know
- IELTS speaking part 2 sample describe a prize you want to get
- IELTS speaking part 2 sample describe a singer that you like
- IELTS speaking part 2 sample describe a time you found something someone lost
- IELTS speaking part 2 sample describe a time you gave advice to others
- IELTS speaking part 2 sample describe a tv program that made you laugh a lot
- IELTS speaking part 2 sample something you do to help you study or work
- IELTS speaking part 2 sample you invited family or friends to have dinner