Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
“Get IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics, tips, and model answers which will help you prepare and practice IELTS Speaking Part 2 test “
In IELTS Speaking Part 2, the examiner will give you a cue card or a task card which will consist of 3-4 questions along with some instructions on how to answer the topics. Once you get the topic, you’ll be given one minute to prepare yourself on the given topic, after which you will have to speak for around 1-2 minutes until the examiner asks you to stop.
Here, the examiner will check your usage of grammar and vocabulary, and your ability to frame sentences while talking. Speaking for 2 minutes may seem like a long time if you haven’t practiced or if you’re not used to speaking in English regularly. That is why it is advisable to practice well for the speaking test.
IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics
Here are the cue card question collections from 2020. Do put your heart and soul into practicing them. There are high chances of questions getting repeated.
Practice Using Sample Cue Cards
One way to prepare yourself for the Speaking Part 2 Test is by practicing while referring to sample cue cards. During the test, you’ll be given a cue card, also known as a task card. This card will consist of a personal question and supporting questions on the given topic. You can prepare yourself for this by referring to cue card samples and practice speaking about respective topics for 2 minutes each. While practicing you should try to focus on language fluency, grammar and vocabulary. The more you practice, the more confident you’ll be during the test!
Describe a country you have visited.
You should talk about:
- Where is this country?
- When did you visit it?
- What are the interesting things about this country?
Steps in IELTS speaking part 2 exam
- The examiner will give you a cue card in which the topic will be mentioned along with the points that you should mainly focus on. The topic given will be related to personal experiences.
- The examiner will then give you one minute to prepare. You’ll have to plan and create a story/idea to speak about relating to the topic. A paper and pencil will be provided so that you can pen down your ideas on the paper if you wish.
- Soon after your one-minute preparation, the examiner will ask you to speak about the given topic.
- While speaking, you should try to speak without hesitating or pausing for too long. While speaking the examiner will not interrupt you, he/she will only nod to encourage you.
- Soon after the 2 minutes get over, the examiner will stop you and ask you a few questions relating to what you spoke about, and you’ll have to give short answers for the same.
Assessment Criteria of IELTS Speaking Part 2
There are 4 criteria based on which your IELTS speaking part 2 is assessed
Fluency and Coherence
While speaking the examiner will check how fluently you can speak by using proper grammar and vocabulary. Hesitating and being in a loss of words is acceptable if it’s once in a while but not if it happens too much.
While speaking you have to make sure to use a variety of idioms with proper vocabulary and grammar. This will show that you have a flexible usage of the language.
You must use correct grammar and structured sentences. It’s very important to avoid making grammatical mistakes while speaking.
While speaking, it is important to make sure you’re pronouncing the words in the correct manner and in a way that is clearly understandable for the examiner. A helpful tip would be, to try to speak slowly and calmly. Avoid speaking too fast as you could have the risk of not being understandable, which may result in your score being reduced.
IELTS Speaking Part 2 Samples
Here is the list for IELTS Speaking part 2 Samples answers.
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Cue Card Samples
- Describe a present you received which was made by hand
- A quiz program or game show on tv
- A time when you got up early
- A water sport you would like to try
- An occasion when the vehicle broke down
- Describe a healthy lifestyle you know
- Describe a prize you want to get
- Describe a singer that you like
- Describe a time you found something someone lost
- Describe a time you advised others
- Describe a tv program that made you laugh a lot
- Something you do to help you study or work
- You invited family or friends to have dinner
Bonus Cue card topics:
- Describe an advice you received on your subjects or work.
- Talk about good news that you heard/ read on the internet
- Describe a time when you enjoyed the free time
- Describe a piece of art you like
- Talk about an interesting conversation you had with a stranger
- Describe an exciting book
- Describe a vocation useful to the society
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to talk for two minutes?
What happens if I cross my time limit?
Do I need to follow the prompts on the cue cards?
Can I change the topic in part 2?
How many questions will be asked in part 2?