Describe a time when you received money as a gift
You should say:
- Band 9 Sample with Audio: Activity you would do when you are alone in your free time
- Band 9 Part 2 & 3 Sample with Audio – Topic: Describe a film or TV show that made you laugh a lot
- Band 9 Part 2 Sample – Topic: Describe a skill you need long time to learn
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Sample in 2019 – Topic: Describe something you do to help you study or work
- IELTS Speaking Test in the US – July 2018 & Model Answers with Audio
- Who gave it to you
- When it was given to you
- Where it happened
- How you felt about it
I’m going to tell you about my college graduation gift from my grandparents. They have 4 grandchildren, so they made a pact (made a promise) to give us all the same graduation gift. With this said, they decided to give all of us $2,000 upon completion of our Bachelor’s Degree. I graduated back in May 2015 and received the gift about a month after, since they live 12 hours away.
I had a late graduation party in my backyard in June since some family members were busy during the month of May with their own children. My grandparents suffered through a 12 hour car ride just to make it to my special day- I was so very grateful! So, they slipped me a card while I was opening my other cards and gifts and I could not believe my eyes! I had heard that he gave all of us a generous gift, but I didn’t expect the gravity (how serious or big) of just how much. When Monday came, I immediately deposited it into my savings account, as I’m quite a frugal person. However, months later, I decided to treat myself to a solo trip to Prague. Considering I had always dreamt of going to Prague, I felt that I put the money to good use.
Since I had never received a gift quite like this, I felt extremely excited. I felt that this money gave me new opportunities to travel and enjoy my future, especially if I save it. Moreover, apart from the money, I felt very appreciative that my grandparents traveled all that way for me. All in all, I felt almost in disbelief along with elated (extremely happy and proud)!
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!