Describe a singer that you like – IELTS Speaking Part 2 Sample Cue Card
Describe your favorite singer
You should say:
- Who he/she is
- Where and when you heard him/her sing for the first time
- What types of song she/he sings and explain why you like his/her music
I’ve recently got into Ariana Grande’s music, so I’m going to talk about her. Ariana’s been around for quite some time now, debuting in 2013, achieving some success with that first album.
However, although her songs have always been catchy, her voice sweet and tender, she wasn’t really a top star until recently. Her latest album is what launches her into superstardom, with the lead single “Thank u, next” topping music charts all around the world.
I think the reason the song catches on is that she has put her personal stories into it, being a kiss-off anthem, full of post-breakup nostalgia and hopeful sentiments at the same time.
I want to meet her just to see her in person, and maybe talk a bit about how she writes her songs. I know this is a long shot, but she did flirt with the idea of touring in my country once. Hopefully she’ll come here some time in the future.
- Debut:A person’s first appearance or performance in a particular capacity or role.
Eg: He made his debut as a comedian
- Catchy: (of a tune or phrase) Instantly appealing and memorable.
Eg: The earring was catchy.
- Nostalgia: A sentimental longing or wistful affection for a period in the past.
Eg: A nostalgia struck his grandfather when they visited their ancestral property
- sentiments: A view or opinion that is held or expressed.
Eg: The mother asked the son to respect her sentiments
Also check :