Describe a house/apartment you like to live in: IELTS Cue Card Sample 33
To have a house or apartment of one’s own is always on the wishlist of every individual. Therefore, this cue card gives you an opportunity to share about a house/apartment you like as well as practise for your IELTS Speaking Part 2.
Describe a house/apartment you like to live in
You should say:
- where this house or apartment would be
- what it would look like
- when you would like to live there
- and explain why you would like to live in such a place
Sample Answer 1
Currently, I’m living in an independent house with my family. However, I would love to live in an apartment.
One of the reasons why I want to live in an apartment is because of the balcony. I’d want my apartment to have a huge balcony that I can decorate with plants and a comfortable chair. I’d like to sit there on a rainy day or a cold night. I don’t want a huge apartment – anything that has up to 3 bedrooms with attached bathrooms, a living area, and an adequately spaced kitchen would suffice.
Unfortunately, such apartments are not in my city; thus, I’d have to shift to another city. Right now, my sister is yet to complete her school, and it will take her two years to finish it. Only then can I move to another city, in an apartment, with my family.
Presently, my house is situated in the middle of the city and is surrounded by a traffic-prone road as well as a myriad of shops and factories around. Owing to this, I hardly get any quietness and stillness, except for the nighttime. Thus, I would like this apartment to be in a locality that is secluded from the main city and is quiet to experience stillness.
Sample Answer 2
Click on the audio to listen to the sample answer above. Pay attention to the intonation and pronunciation of the words
Signup/Login and get access to the audio
I would love to live in an apartment. Since I live in a big city, it’s probably more convenient to buy a condo in a building complex.
I prefer a cozy place, so, I would expect it to be not too big – about 90 to 100 square meters – with 2 bedrooms and 2 balconies. In my opinion, this size is perfect for a small family of parents and one child. When it comes to cleaning the house, you wouldn’t feel discouraged by all the chores you have to do.
It would be great if my apartment overlooked  a river or bridge, and it should be located on a high floor like the 10th or above. As a person who loves color and nature, I would decorate my house with a lot of paintings and plants. I would make a hanging garden in one of my balconies  and put small chairs and tables out, so that I could sit there and enjoy my small garden. I would use yellow -tinted bulbs and lamps all over the apartment to make it cozier.
If I get the chance , I would love to make my dream apartment become a reality as soon as possible, because I have always wanted to move out of my parents house. Owning an apartment would allow me to do whatever I want, whenever I want.
- Condo: One apartment that you own in a building with other apartments. However, the shared areas are owned by everyone.
Eg: The owners of the condos share the swimming pool and children’s play areas that are part of the apartment complex.
- Building complex: A group of similar buildings of one type in the same place.
Eg: The buildings in the sports complex included a gymnasium and a basketball court.
- Cozy: Small, but warm, comfortable and safe.
Eg: Although it was cold outside, his small apartment was cozy and so we stayed overnight.
- Balcony: Something that is built on the outside wall of a building, like a small platform with a wall or rail around it for safety.
Eg: We had drinks on the hotel balcony, enjoying the view of the sea.
- Discouraged: Feeling less enthusiastic about something.
- Eg: when I looked at all the homework that I had to finish, I felt quite discouraged. However, I decided to start doing it immediately.
- Chores: Routine tasks.
Eg: I have to do some chores every day, such as cleaning the kitchen and washing the dishes.
- Overlook: If an apartment overlooks a place, this means that you can see that place from the window or balcony of the apartment.
Eg: We had lunch in a restaurant overlooking a lake.
- Floor: All the rooms that are on the same level of a building.
Eg: On the 10th floor of my apartment block, there are 6 different apartments.
- Hanging garden: A type of garden on a balcony or roof in which many plants are in baskets that hang down from baskets fastened to the walls.
Eg: Many people in our apartment complex grow flowers in baskets that hang from the walls of their balconies.
- Yellow-tinted: Having a light yellow colour.
Eg: The yellow-tinted lights gave our apartment a relaxing and cozy atmosphere.