In this particular page, you’ll find IELTS Reading samples which can be used for practice. Follow the procedure given below to calculate the IELTS reading band score.
- Choose a particular practice test and click on the first section of the test.
- Read the given passage and answer the questions given below it.
- Go to the next section and repeat the same procedure.
- Complete reading all the 3 passages and answer all the questions. Look at the ‘Answers’ section to check the scores obtained in the reading test.
In the Reading test, there are 2 categories. They are the “IELTS Academic Reading test” and the “IELTS General Training Reading test”. The practice test for both is explained below.
IELTS Academic Reading Practice Test
While taking up the Academic Reading Practice test, certain things have to be kept in mind which are given below:
- The Academic Reading test is 60 minutes long.
- There will be 3 sections and each section will have a long text which will be up to 2,150-2,750 words.
- The texts which are given in the exam are taken from journals, newspapers, magazines. These topics will be of general interest and these are given for non-specialist audiences.
- The texts or the passages given are appropriate or to the point and target an audience who are taking up undergraduate or postgraduate programs or for those who are taking the professional registration like, teacher, doctor and so on in foreign countries.
- From the text given you may be asked descriptive, discursive, analytical and factual questions.
- The text which is given may also contain non-verbal materials like graphs, tables, diagrams and so on.
- If the text comprises of jargon, then a separate vocabulary is provided for the same.
- There are different question types based on the text given such as multiple-choice, matching information, matching sentence, flow chart completion, table completion and so on.
- Every correct answer will carry 1 mark and there will be 40 questions. Scores out of 40 are converted to 9 bands and these bands will be given in the form of full or half band.
Here is the list of 70 IELTS Reading Practice Tests
IELTS General Training Reading Practice test
The IELTS General Training Reading Practice test will help you to get a rough idea on the actual test and will help in time management. Some of the procedures to be followed while taking up these tests are as follows:
- The General Training Reading Test will also be for 60 minutes and you will be given a particular topic to read and answer.
- In the General training also there will be 3 sections and different topics will be given for each section.
- In section 1 there will be three factual passages based on day-to-day life.
- In section 2 there will be two factual texts based on work-related issues.
- Section 3 will have a more complex paragraph on general topics.
- The topic given will be taken from newspapers, magazines, journals and so on.
- The questions will be based on different types such as matching information, sentence completion, flowchart completion, Graph completion, table completion and so on.
- There will be 40 questions in each part and every question will carry 1 mark which is then converted into 9 bands and these bands will be given in the form of full or half band.
Computer-delivered IELTS Reading Practice Test
By taking the Computer-delivered IELTS Reading test you can practice for the reading test on your own computer, sitting at home. These tests should be taken on your computer or laptops. The Reading practice test consists of 11 question types comprising of 41 questions which include:
- Multiple-choice questions
- Note completion
- Matching Sentence Endings
- Sentence Completion
- Identifying Information
- Matching Headings
- Summary completion
- Flowchart completion
Continue with…Previous year Actual Tests with Answer Keys
Also, check for other IELTS Practice test