IELTS Reading Practice Tests 2023 – Reading Passages and Samples
- 1 IELTS Academic Reading Practice Test
- 2 IELTS Reading Sample Papers
- 3 IELTS General Training Reading Practice test
- 4 Computer-delivered IELTS Reading Practice Test
- 5 IELTS Reading practice test based on question types
- 5.1 Question Types in IELTS Reading
- 5.1.1 Multiple Choice questions
- 5.1.2 Sentence/note Completion questions
- 5.1.3 Complete the table type questions
- 5.1.4 Short answer type questions
- 5.1.5 Label the diagram type of questions
- 5.1.6 Matching type questions-
- 5.1.7 Matching the sentence endings type questions
- 5.1.8 Match the features type questions
- 5.1.9 Match the heading type questions
- 5.1.10 Complete the summary type questions
- 5.1.11 True/False/Not Given or Yes/No/Not Given
- 5.1 Question Types in IELTS Reading
In this particular page, you’ll find a plethora of IELTS Reading passages for practice. By solving these practice questions, you can measure your preparedness for the exam. You can also get to know the areas where you make the maximum mistakes.
Also, you will find some details on the types of questions that are commonly given in IELTS Reading and some quick tips on how to tackle them. So, go through the double dose of information and get going on your preparation!
Follow the procedure given below to calculate your IELTS reading band score.
- Choose a particular IELTS Reading practice test and click on the first section of the test.
- Read the given IELTS reading passage and answer the questions given below it.
- Go to the next section and repeat the same procedure.
- Complete reading all the 3 passages and answer all the questions. Look at the ‘Answers’ section to check the scores obtained in the reading test.
IELTS Academic Reading Practice Test
While taking up the Academic Reading Practice test, certain things have to be kept in mind which are given below:
- The Academic Reading test is 60 minutes long.
- There will be 3 sections and each section will have a long text which will be up to 2,150-2,750 words.
- The texts which are given in the exam are taken from journals, newspapers, magazines. These topics will be of general interest and these are given for non-specialist audiences.
- The texts or the passages given are appropriate or to the point and target an audience who are taking up undergraduate or postgraduate programs or for those who are taking the professional registration like, teacher, doctor and so on in foreign countries.
- From the text given you may be asked descriptive, discursive, analytical and factual questions.
- The text which is given may also contain non-verbal materials like graphs, tables, diagrams and so on.
- If the text comprises of jargon, then a separate vocabulary is provided for the same.
- There are different question types based on the text given such as multiple-choice, matching information, matching sentence, flow chart completion, table completion and so on.
- Every correct answer will carry 1 mark and there will be 40 questions. Scores out of 40 are converted to 9 bands and these bands will be given in the form of full or half band.
IELTS Reading Sample Papers
Here is the list of 70 IELTS Reading Practice Tests. These are IELTS Academic Reading passages with answers. Practise using these IELTS Academic reading sample test papers and ace your exams. The IELTS Reading topics are carefully chosen, and the answer keys are reviewed multiple times. So this would be a 100% fruitful IELTS reading practice online.
IELTS Actual Test Questions (February-March 2023)
4.8 of 5
4.6 of 5
4.8 of 5
4.8 of 5
IELTS General Training Reading Practice test
The IELTS General Training Reading Practice test will help you to get a rough idea on the actual test and will help in time management. Some of the procedures to be followed while taking up these tests are as follows:
- The General Training Reading Test will also be for 60 minutes and you will be given a particular topic to read and answer.
- In the General training also there will be 3 sections and different topics will be given for each section.
- In section 1 there will be three factual passages based on day-to-day life.
- In section 2 there will be two factual texts based on work-related issues.
- Section 3 will have a more complex paragraph on general topics.
- The topic given will be taken from newspapers, magazines, journals and so on.
- The questions will be based on different types such as matching information, sentence completion, flowchart completion, Graph completion, table completion and so on.
- There will be 40 questions in each part and every question will carry 1 mark which is then converted into 9 bands and these bands will be given in the form of full or half band.
Computer-delivered IELTS Reading Practice Test
By taking the Computer-delivered IELTS Reading test you can practice for the reading test on your own computer, sitting at home. These tests should be taken on your computer or laptops. The Reading practice test consists of 11 question types comprising of 41 questions which include:
- Multiple-choice questions
- Note completion
- Matching Sentence Endings
- Sentence Completion
- Identifying Information
- Matching Headings
- Summary completion
- Flowchart completion.
IELTS Reading practice test based on question types
While attempting the IELTS reading practice test, you need to be in a frame of mind of attempting the actual IELTS test. The IELTS Reading task involves three passages that gauge your analytical skills, reading comprehension, and the ability to effectively and efficiently read for the general idea, for the primary point of view, making the inferential analysis of the passages, writer’s opinion, and inclination, etc. There are 40 questions in the IELTS Reading task, be it IELTS Academic or IELTS General, and these questions are stretched over a range of questions.
Question Types in IELTS Reading
It is best to begin by referring to an IELTS reading practice test with answers because you will get first-hand knowledge of how to arrive at the answers. But before you do that, learn the question types that are generally asked in the IELTS Reading tasks. This article covers most of the question types.
Multiple Choice questions
These types of questions require you to opt for the correct option from a list of options. You might have to choose between 4,5 or more choices and give your response with the letter corresponding to which the right option (as per your choice) is mentioned like A,B,C,D, E depending upon how many options are available.
Sentence/note Completion questions
In these types of questions, you are required to complete an incomplete sentence following the word limit. You don’t have to write the sentence on your own, nor do you need to paraphrase the information. You just have to find the sentence in which the question is a part and complete it as mentioned in the text.
Complete the table type questions
In these types of questions you are required to complete a table that is provided within the word limit. You just have to find the part from which the questions of the table are asked and then fill in the word that you feel is the most suitable to be written, and that would correctly complete the table.
Short answer type questions
In these types of questions, you need to provide a short answer to the questions asked. You don’t have to provide the answer in detail. Just provide your answers in a short and crisp way within the word limit. The prerequisite for such types of questions is to understand the passage well, keeping the question(s) in mind.
Label the diagram type of questions
In the diagram labelling questions, you are required to complete the diagram with suitable words depending upon the situation. For this, you need to have a clear understanding of the context of the passage, and then, you need to fill in the spaces provided by using appropriate words upon having searched the paragraph(s) the question is taken from
Matching type questions-
Matching the sentence endings type questions
In these types of questions, you are required to match the initial phrase of a sentence to the most appropriate ending of it. The first step should be to read the question and paraphrase the sentence. This way, it becomes easy to choose the right ending.
Match the features type questions
You need to match the most appropriate features of a column to a category in another column. It could be a peculiar characteristic given in the passage of a certain group or a feature of a device, etc. You have to follow the passage well to be able to attempt these types of questions.
Match the heading type questions
In this subset of matching questions, you are required to match the paragraphs given in a column to the appropriate heading mentioned in another column. For example, para A para B could have a heading Malnourishment, Essential nutrients, etc. So your task is to match the paragraphs with the apt titles. The task becomes easy if you understand the central idea of the passages.
Complete the summary type questions
In these types of questions, the context and the fair understanding of the passage are of utmost importance. Failing to do so would be very problematic for you to infer the passage and come to a conclusion. Comprehending the text well could help you attempt summarizing or completing the summary types of questions correctly. Ensure to write within the word limit.
True/False/Not Given or Yes/No/Not Given
You have to understand the writer’s perspectives and give the answer suitably, keeping in mind the writer’s viewpoints. To understand the writer’s views, you have to, first of all, understand the writer’s opinion and attitude well. Once you are able to gauge the intent and inclination of the writer, these questions become considerably easier.
Continue with…Previous year Actual Test Questions
Also, check for other IELTS Practice tests
Frequently Asked Questions
What will the Academic reading test consist of?
Who should take up the Academic reading test?
Will the reading passages contain only text or some non-verbal materials as well?
Will the reading passage contain complex words which I cannot understand?
What are the possible question types in the reading passage?
Post your Comments
Max Arthur Polipol
Posted on Sep 21, 2021
Charles Chinedu Okpala
Posted on Aug 25, 2021
Good very helpful.
I think am improving in my preparation
Posted on Aug 7, 2021
Posted on Jun 6, 2020
hello ! may I ask if these test are academic or general ?
Posted on Jul 27, 2020
Hi Tommaso, these reading practice tests are academic. We’ve got IELTS General reading practice tests too. They can be found in this link – https://ieltsmaterial.com/ielts-general-reading-practice-test/