IELTS Reading – True, False, Not Given – Example 3
|Hot-air ballooning is generally a safe activity, and serious accidents are rare. In the event that something does go wrong, several items of safety gear are useful to have on board. In case, the pilot light and the auxiliary piezo ignition fail, it is a good idea to have a welding torch flint sparker available for the pilot’s use. Given the propane combustion used to propel the hot-air balloon, a fire extinguisher is an absolute necessity. Flame-resistant gauntlets made out of either leather or Nomex are required for the pilot so that a gas valve can be disabled even if an open flame is present. While Nomex is a specially manufactured synthetic form of fire retardant material, synthetic clothing is generally a hindrance to fire safety, and clothing made of natural fiber is a superior option for pilots. Finally, a handling line – a long rope that can be thrown overboard – is a vital precautionary measure that allows people on the ground to steer the balloon away from trouble.|
|1.Fatal accidents are more common in hot-air balloons
2. Safety gears are always available on the hot-air balloons
3. It is unnecessary to carry a fire extinguisher in the hot-air balloons.
4. Flame-resistant gauntlets made of leather are one of the required items for a pilot.
5. People on the ground use handling rope to steer the balloon.
|1.Fatal accidents are more common in hot-air balloons – False
2. Safety gears are always available on the hot-air balloons – True
3. It is unnecessary to carry a fire extinguisher in the hot-air balloons -False
4. Flame-resistant gauntlets made of leather is one of the required items for a pilot – True.
5. People on the ground use the handling rope to steer the balloon away from trouble – True
Explanation to the Answers:
|For the first question, it is clearly mentioned in the first line of the passage that serious accidents in hot-air balloons are rare. So, the answer is False. Here, fatal refers to dangerous or serious accidents.
For the second question, it is clearly given in the passage that several safety gear items are useful to have onboard and so they’re available on the hot-air balloons. So, the statement is True.
For the third question, it is mentioned in the passage that fire extinguishers are an absolute necessity given the propane combustion of hot air balloons. So, the statement is False.
For the fourth question, it is mentioned in the passage that the flame-resistant gauntlets made up of leather is an essential item required for a pilot. So, the statement is True. This is used when to disable the gas valve when an open flame is present.
For the fifth question, it is given in the passage that a handling rope is a precautionary measure that helps the people on the ground to steer the balloon away from trouble. So, the statement is True.