This article helps the test taker to understand, how to answer true, false, not given questions. In this, you will give a text with some information as well as a list of facts. The test taker has to identify whether the facts are true, false or not given by referring to the text that is given. In front of the facts you need need to write True, if the fact matches the text, False, if the fact is opposite to the text and Not Given, if the fact is not present in the text.
Strategies for answering the questions
There are a few strategies, which have to be kept in mind while answering the True False Not given questions. They are listed as b below:
- The questions are asked in the same order in which the text or the information is given.
- In order to know the correct answer, you need to understand the text given and check which fact about the text is true, fa;se or not given.
- Read the first paragraph carefully and try to answer the questions, if you find that this may the answer then do not rush to write the answer, read the sentence carefully and then decide whether the answer is correct or incorrect. When you find the answer in the first paragraph move to the second paragraph and repeat the procedure.
- You have to carefully read the information text, to find whether the keyword in the question are present in the text.
- You have to keep in mind that the question and the information in the text will be similar but with the synonyms. There will be no exact sentence in the question. It is your duty to identify and write the correct answer.
- If you look at the controlling words in the information then you can easily find whether the fact given is true, false or not given.
- Do not spend a lot of time on one question, if you cannot find the fact in the information then the answer is probably Not Given.
- Sometimes words like Yes, No, No Information are used these may be slightly different, where, you may have to look for the opinions instead of the facts.
- Instead of only focusing on the keywords, also try to read the sentences fully and identify the answer.
- Match the facts given with the correct and accurate information of the text.
- Once you feel that a particular fact matches the text you need to read it again carefully to know if the fact given is true or false. You need to keep in mind if the fact is true then, it should exactly match the information given.
- If you are really unsure and cannot understand the synonyms given, then you can mark it as Not Given
- Underline the words which you feel might be the correct answer so that in the end you can refer them back.
Tips for True, False, Not given Ielts Questions
Below are some of the tips to write answers to the questions and gain a high band in the IELTS examination. The list of tips is given below:
- Before you rush in and write the answer, spend time understanding the question that is given.
- Do not make any assumptions about the facts given. If you already know about the topic given keep it aside and just focus on the text information given. Because most of the time the answer you may think may be wrong and you may end up losing marks.
- You have to give your full attention while reading the text as well as the question, and do not depend only on the keywords that are given. It is advisable to read the text and the question with full concentration.
- There will be many sentences in the text which are paraphrased from the facts that are given. So you need to be more careful and look for such sentences. For this, you should be really well with the grammar.
- Some of the words like some, never, always, believe, claim and so on may completely change the meaning of the sentence. That is why it is important to read the sentence carefully and avoid making mistakes.
- It is not only based on the keywords, sometimes in the sentence, the keywords may be the same but the meaning of the sentence may be completely different. So mainly you have to keep this in mind.
- In the facts given, there will be at least one answer that is True, False or Not give. If you are not able to find anyone answers from this. Then you will have a wrong answer.
- The answer will be false when the text information states one meaning about the answer and the fact given states some other meaning so you have to keep this in mind.
- The order of the question given also may help in finding the answer. The answer to question 4 will be between the answers of questions 3 and 5 in the text.
- If you have no idea about the answer, then put not given, because probably the answer will not be available in the text.
- You can only write the initials T instead of writing True. but, you need to make sure that your handwriting is clear and understandable.