Time management in IELTS Reading – A key to get a high band score
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
It’s a known fact that time management is a major factor in almost all competitive exams and is the secret behind a high band score in the IELTS Reading test. The IELTS Reading module consists of three passages where the aspirants must go through the passages and answer 40 questions in the IELTS General and IELTS Academic tests within 60 minutes. Most of the time, the aspirants find it difficult to manage their time in the IELTS Reading section as the passages are lengthy. It may seem impossible to predict the answers and complete the test within the stipulated time. The IELTS Reading section analyses your reading skills and your ability to read under timed conditions.
Different Approach for each Section
Well, if you’re aiming for a high band score in the IELTS Reading section (i.e., allowing only one to two incorrect answers), then please note that you have only 50 minutes to complete all the 40 questions. Wondering what the remaining 10 minutes are for? It is to check all your answers. However, the first thing you must know is that all the three sections in the IELTS Reading test are not equal, and each section requires a different approach, and you should manage your time accordingly. So, let’s start with how to approach these IELTS Reading sections.
Difference between IELTS Academic and General Reading
The difference between the IELTS Academic and General Reading tests is that the passages in the IELTS academic reading are taken from journals, magazines, newspapers, and most of the topics are of general interest. The difficulty level increases from part 1 to part 3.
Passages in the IELTS General Reading are factual information related to work, application procedures, and daily life in an English speaking country. Part 3 in the IELTS General Reading contains a long, difficult passage on a general topic. However, the IELTS General Reading section is considered easier than the IELTS Academic Reading section, and the scoring varies accordingly.
Strategies to Answer IELTS Reading Questions
- Preview the questions before going through the passages
- Reading the questions first will give you an outline of the content in the passage.
- Identify the keywords and underline them in the passage. This will allow you to locate the answers.
- Read the introduction and conclusion. Then move to the body paragraph.
- Do not spend more than 5 minutes in each passage, and don’t read every single word in the passage.
- Skim-read the passage and then start answering the questions
- A quick glance at the beginning and end of the paragraph may help you get an idea about the question.
- If you can’t find an answer, move to the next. Don’t spend too much time finding one answer.
Useful tip to improve time management
Here are a few tips that can help you improve your time management skills in the IELTS Reading test.
- It’s best recommended to practise reading 1000-1200-word long news articles, blogs, or any other passages until you can comfortably finish them reading within 15 minutes.
- Have an understanding and awareness of various topics, including Nature History, Literature, and Science.
- Build your vocabulary of academic words
- Familiarize yourself with the questions and the format of IELTS Reading
- Avoid getting stuck at one question; analyze the questions properly and set your time accordingly.
- Do not spend too much time on one question.
- Ensure all the questions are attempted using an effective strategy.
- Transfer your answers from the question paper to the answer sheet in the given time. Do not miss out on any answer.
- Avoid last-minute changes in any answers.
- Spend one minute or less than that on any given question. Do not exceed more than that.
- Follow the strategies (skimming and scanning)
- Finish your test within 50 minutes so that you feel relaxed and check for any possible errors.
- Practise as much as you can to perform well
The IELTS Reading section can be very challenging and complicated, so the aspirants must improve their time management skills and train themselves to answer questions within the given time limit. Always remember that a good test result requires effort, hard work, and dedication. Apart from that, you can consider or follow the IELTS Reading tips and strategies to manage your time more effectively. However, achieving a high band score is dependent on various other factors too.
Check More IELTS Reading Answers