- Answer: E. The paragraph Is about the fact that parameters help our minds to be creative.
- Answer: C. The answer lies in the key phrases: … keeping creative ability in check (in the first sentence) and Such limitations are needed so that once they are learnt, they can be broken (the last sentence of the paragraph). The focus sentence is a combination of these two ideas. Note how the word yet divides the paragraph. It indicates the focus of the paragraph against the background in the first part. It also marks the division of Information In the whole passage.
- Answer: A. The writer wrote the paragraph to show that habits limit our creativity and the habits we need to survive play a role in this limitation.
- Answer: D. The theme of the paragraph is how creativity works.
- Answer: B, The paragraph deals with how parameters help the mind to be creative.
- Answer: C. The answer is in the first line of the passage: It is a myth that creative people are born with their talents. Here, it is a myth = are not.
- Answor: C, The answer is In paragraph A. The actual words are not in the paragraph, but the meaning is clear. A is not correct, because this is a myth; B is not correct, because the passage states that when we try to be creative, our automatic response takes over. D is not correct, because the well-trodden paths prevent creativity. Compare number 13 below.
- Answor: D. The answer is in paragraph B: Unfortunately, mankind’s very struggle for survival has become a tyranny. The answer paraphrases this statement. A is not correct, because the passage says the struggle has become, i.e. is a tyranny, not that it is becoming so; B is not correct, because cholesterol is not mentioned in relationship to the brain, but the mind, C is incorrect, because it is the mind which is circumscribed.
- Answer: A, The answer is in paragraph C: a continuous process of restrictions, which is increasing exponentially with the advancement of technology. The statement Is a paraphrase of this section. Note B and C are basically the same; it is, therefore, not possible to have cither of these two alternatives as your answer. Watch out for this feature In multiple choice questions.
- Answer: D. The answer is in paragraph C: Is it surprising then that creative ability appears to be so raref. This is a question and has the same meaning as the statement given, i.e. It is not surprising. Note C is not possible, because the passage doesn’t indicate whether the rarity is increasing or decreasing.
- Answer! Yes. The answer is at the beginning of paragraph D: … and one that recognises that rules and regulations are parameters….
- Answer! Not Given. There is no reference to this statement in the passage.
- Answer: Yes. The answer Is In paragraph D: The difficulty in this exercise and with creation itself, is convincing people that creation is possible. The answer is a paraphrase of this part of the text. Compare number 7 above,
- Answer: Yes. The answer is at the end of paragraph D: leaving the safety of one’s own thought patterns is very much akin to madness; akin to – like.
- Answor: Yes. The answer is in the latter half of paragraph E.
- Answer: B. The answer is in the second sentence of paragraph 1: we crave security.
- Answer: B. The answer is In paragraph 2, The key word is increasingly = becoming. A, C and D are all mentioned in the paragraph, but not in the correct context.
- Answer: A. The answer is In the first sentence of paragraph 2: now do not. B Is the opposite and C and D are just phrases lifted from the text.
- Answer: D. The answer is In paragraph 3, the key phrase is bar entry to the uninitiated, which the answer paraphrases. A Is Incorrect, bccause only some access is not allowed. B is not true, bccause It is the working space that is compartmentalised, not the user, and C is not correct, bccause “traps” are not the same as “trappings”.
- Answer: Solved, Although the word combat appears In the original, it does not fit here grammatically. The past participle is needed. Note overcame Is the Simple Past, not the Past Participle.
- Answer: computers. The plural is needed here.
- Answer: other people.
- Answer: cut-off. The word isolating docs not fit grammatically. You need an adjective made from the past participle of the verb. Compare 20 above.
- Answer: team-work.
- Answer: decrease in.
- Answer: team-work. As It says In the instructions, you may use a word or phrase more than once.
- Answer: Just the same way as. The answer is obviously not similar or no different from.
- Answer: touch-tone dialling system. The answer is In paragraph 7: If we are ur\fortunate enough to contact an organization with a sophisticated touch-tone dialling system. The key word here Is unfortunate, which shows that the writer is negative about the topic. The writer does not comment on the other means of communication in the same way.
- Answer: electronic presence. The answer Is In paragraph 8.
- Answer: no longer geographical. The answer is in paragraphs 8 and 9: … now that location is no longer geographical …An example of this is the mobile phone. The important thing here is to recognise the link between the paragraphs.
- Answer: K. The answer is in the first sentence of the passage. Note that the active needs to be changed into the passive.
- Answer: G. The answer is in the first paragraph. B is not correct, because the passage says foods may be unique, not that they are and is not talking about ethnocentric properties.
- Answer: F. The answer is in paragraph 3.
- Aniwer: J. The answer Is In paragraph 4. The key phrase Is towards the end of the paragraph: a cultural practice needs behavioural reinforcement.. ,
- Answer: E. The answer Is in the third paragraph,
- Answer: D. The answer is in paragraph 6. C is incorrect, because it is the language and the cuisine that vary, not the link. And H is not correct. It is the character of language and cuisine that Is said to be fundamental, and not language and cuisine themselves. Beware of the right word or phrase In the wrong context.
- Answer: B, The answer is in paragraph 3. After scanning for the name, the important word Is distinction which means difference In this case.
- Answer: D, The answer is in the last paragraph.
- Answer: C. The answer is In paragraph 2. The Important thing here is to link correctly the names to the themes.
- Answer: A. The answer is In paragraph 4.
Note how the answers In this section are jumbled; otherwise, it would be too easy!
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (January – April) & Sample Answers - October 20, 2018
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Art & Technology with Model Essay - May 30, 2018
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!