Be Out Of Element – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS Speaking & Writing
Definition: to feel unhappy or strange because you are in a situation that you are not familiar with
- Elen found herself in a complete awkward situation when being dragged to her friend’s party. Since she wasn’t very socially dynamic and led a quiet life, Elen felt out of her element around other social butterflies.
- We were out of our element at the grandeur and luxury level of the wedding ceremony since we had only been to events like this on rare occasions.
Socially dynamic: sociable
Social butterfly (n): a person who is socially dynamic, networking, charismatic, and personally gregarious
Grandeur (n): the quality of being great and impressive in appearance
On rare occasions: seldom, barely
Practice: Fill in the blank
- With Jason, the most formidable candidate, being …… due to ankle injuries, Hank has a high chance to win the marathon competition.
- He was …… when his colleagues started to discuss politics, a topic he had no interest in due to its ambiguity and manipulation.
- She felt …… in her formal business suit while others seem comfortable with their casual outfits.