Bring Something To Bear (+On) – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS
Definition: to use something to achieve a result; to use influence, arguments, or threats in order to change a situation; to cause (something) to have an effect or influence
- Nerves Of Steel – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS Writing and Speaking
- Rub Someone (Up) The Wrong Way – Idiom Of The Day
- Be Out Of Element – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS Speaking & Writing
- Live And Breathe Something – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS
- Delusions Of Grandeur – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS Speaking & Writing
- Strict punishments should be brought to bear as deterrents for such disobedient behaviors.
- Conservationists are actively bringing media pressure and public attention to bear on the demand of a sound policy to protect endangered species.
- The management team had had some reservations on how much influence the new policy could bring to bear. Surprisingly, the majority of employees were on board with it.
Disobedient (a): failing or refusing to obey
Deterrent (n): a thing that makes somebody less likely to do something (= that deters them)
Conservationist (n): a person who takes an active part in the protection of the environment
Sound (a): good and thorough
Endangered (a): (used about groups of animals, plants, etc.) at risk of no longer existing
Reservation (n): a feeling of doubt about a plan or an idea
Be on board with: supporting something
IELTS Practice Speaking
What can governments do to protect the environment?
Generally speaking, many governments have already taken action to improve environmental quality and diversity. Some of those are issuing laws and regulations as well as raising community awareness regarding environmental issues. Take Singapore, which is well-known for its insane cleanliness and sense of civilization, for instance. Some strict punishments have been brought to bear on protecting this country’s tidiness. If anyone, either intentionally or not, litters so much of a cigarette butt or candy wrapper, he will be fined $300 for the first time and the much higher for larger pieces of trash.
- Take action: to do something
- Diversity (n): the state of being diverse; variety
- Issue (v): to start a legal process against somebody, especially by means of an official document
- Civilization (n): a state of human society that is very developed and organized
- Litter (v): to leave things in a place, making it look untidy
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by Alessa (see all)
- State-Of-The-Art – Word Of The Day For IELTS - April 27, 2017
- Aggravate – Word Of The Day For IELTS Speaking & Writing - March 17, 2017
- Bring Something To Bear – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS - March 17, 2017