Until the cows come home – Idiom of the day for IELTS Speaking
Meaning: for a very long time
- 10 Useful Idioms for the IELTS Speaking Test
- Common Idioms to Boost Your IELTS Score – Topic: Authority and control
- Common Idioms to Boost Your IELTS Score – Topic : Fear and Frustration
- Common Idioms to Boost Your IELTS Score – Topic: Health, illness, and death
- Common Idioms to Boost Your IELTS Score – Topic : Deception
Origin: The origin of the phrase goes back to a time when people were familiar with the time cows came home (in the very early morning… 4 – 5 a.m.) because they wanted to be milked.
- We could talk about this problem until the cows come home, but it wouldn’t solve anything.
- We can learn IELTS until the cows come home this week to get a high score in IELTS
Determine the meaning of the bolded expression. Choose the best answer.
Bobby would have been playing ball until the cows came home if it hadn’t been for Suzie dragging him away to eat dinner.
- Bobby was just about to stop playing ball.
- Bobby didn’t even want to play ball to begin with.
- Bobby prefers nature to athletics.
- Bobby would have continued playing ball for a long time.
Fill in the gap
You can’t talk until the ……… come home. I won’t accept that scheme.
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Topic: Art & Technology with Model Essay - May 30, 2018
- 15 IELTS Practice Tests (Book) - May 29, 2018
- IELTS Success Formula For Academic & General Training Module (Book) - May 26, 2018