IELTS Listening Multiple Choice Questions | Example 1
|Tutor: Well, Anita and Lee, that was an interesting presentation you made about John Chapman.
Tutor: There are a few points, I’d like to run through before you write it up. One thing, which you didn’t explain was why you decided to do a presentation on this man who spread apple varieties across the US.
Anita: Well ages ago, we were chatting about stuff, we’d read as children and I told Lee “The Johnny Appleseed” story.
Anita: I had these American storybooks when I was small. Then, when we were looking into the area of domesticated species of plants for our presentation, we realized that the introduction of the apple with the settlers in the US would be a good case study.
Lee: And I remembered Chapman. So we looked up the real guy behind the legend.
Tutor: Right. I think that would have made a good intro.
Anita: I thought it was too personal.
Tutor: Just a couple of minutes would have drawn your listeners in. Anyway, now a more serious point. You didn’t mention the sources of some of your information.
Lee: We used some books and journal articles and did an internet search and found some good sites.
Anita: We’ve put them on the back of the handout, we gave everyone at the end.
Tutor: No! See. “Johnny Appleseed Man and Myth 1967”. The thing is you really have to make this explicit when you talk and anything you show, data you project from your laptop, etcetera, you must have the source on it.
Anita: Right. Okay.
Choose the correct answers A-C and write answers next to 1-5.
1.What did John Chapman do?
- Imported apple varieties across the US
- Extended the varieties of apples across the US
- Scattered the apple varieties across the US
- Exported the apple varieties in America
- Why did Anita and Lee choose to talk about John Chapman?
- Chapman’s story was relevant to their studies
- They wanted to talk about their childhood story
- Because Chapman was Lee’s favorite hero
- They wanted the audience to know about the Johnny Appleseed story.
- What did the tutor question Anita and Lee about?
- Why didn’t they mention the sources of the information to the audience?
- Why did they decide to do a presentation on John Chapman?
- Both A & B
- None of the above
- How did Lee and Anita gather information for their presentation?
- From the American storybooks & journal articles
- From the search engine & websites
- Both A & B
- None of the above
- Where did Anita and Lee document the source of information for the presentation?
- As a document on the laptop
- As a database on the website
- As a piece of information printed on a handout
- On the back of a leaflet.
|1.Extended the varieties of apples across the US.
2. Chapman’s story was relevant to their studies
3. Both A & B
4. Both A & B
5. On the Back of a leaflet.
|For the first question, we come to know from the conversation that John Chapman was the same man who spread the apple varieties across the US. So, the answer is B. Expand the varieties of apples across the US. Here, extended means spread.
For the second question, we understand from the conversation that Anita and Lee choose to talk about John Chapman. They realized that the Johnny Appleseed Story by John Chapman was relevant to their studies. So, the answer is A. Chapman’s story was relevant to their studies. Here, the story refers to the ‘Johnny Appleseed’ story.
For the third question, we understand from the conversation that the tutor first questioned Anita and Lee about why they decided to do a presentation on John Chapman. Secondly, the tutor asked them why they didn’t mention the source of information in their presentation. So, the correct answer is Both A & B.
For the fourth question, we understand from the conversation that Anita and Lee gathered the information for the presentation from the storybooks, journal articles, internet searches, and good sites. So, the answer is C. Both A & B. Here, Internet search refers to search engines, and good sites mean websites.
For the fifth question, we come to know from the passage that Anita and Lee recorded the source of information for the presentation on the back of a handout. So, the answer is D. On the back of a leaflet. Here, to document refers to record, and leaflet means handout.
Also check :