In the Listening Test 83, you will hear 4 audio recordings and answer questions 1-40.
Section 1 is a conversation between a student and a saleswoman
Section 2 is a conversation between an interviewer and an interviewee.
Section 3 is a conversation between 2 people discussing the difficulties faced during seminar discussions.
Section 4 is a lecture about some useful information when you go to study overseas.
- 1 Section 1
- 2 SECTION 2
- 3 Section 3
- 4 Section 4
- 5 Answers
Select the correct answer from the choices given.
Write A, B, Cor D on your answer sheet.
1. Where is Mr Garcia living?
A. Private accommodation.
B. With friends.
C. Self-catering university accommodation.
D. Catered university accommodation.
2. Why doesn’t he like his accommodation?
A. The food is not good.
B. The meals are at inconvenient times.
C. He doesn’t like his cohabitants.
D. It’s on the university campus.
3. Where are Mr Garcia and his friends from?
A. Costa Rica, Spain, Bolivia.
B. Ecuador, Spain, Mexico
C. Mexico, Columbia, Spain.
D. Spain, Brazil, Argentina.
4. What kind of place are they hoping to find?
A. A house with a garden next to the university.
B. A flat or a house next to the university.
C A house not too near to the university.
D. A flat or a house not too near to the university.Questions 5-7
Complete the details below using NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS AND/OR NUMBERS.
|Current address||5 ………………………|
|Email address||6 ………………………|
|Budgeted monthly rent||7 ……………………… £|
Select the correct answer from the choices given.
Write A, B, C or D on your answer sheet.
8. Why can Mr Garcia expect a small reduction in rent?
A. The salesman likes him.
B. There is no contract
C. July is a good month to move in.
D. He and his friends will stay all year.
9. How much is the accommodation agency’s fee for Mr Garcia?
A. 1/2 month’s rent.
B. 1 month’s rent.
C. 11/2 month’s rent.
D. There’s no fee.
10. Which items does Mr Garcia consider necessary?
A. Kitchen utensils, washing machine, Internet connection.
B. Washing machine, Internet connection, TV.
C. DVD player, TV, Internet connection.
D. Shower, TV, washing machine.
Choose the correct answers to the following questions.
Only ONE answer is possible for each question.
11. Which member or members of the speaker’s family have health problems?
A. The speaker.
B. The speaker’s parents.
C. The speaker’s father and younger sister.
D. None of the speaker’s family does.
12. Why didn’t the family go to Rotorua?
A. They couldn’t afford it.
B. They wanted to go somewhere with friends.
C. Because of health problems.
D. Because they wanted to go somewhere new.
13. How did the speaker’s family first find out about the Waiwera spa?
A. From people, they met in their hometown.
B. From the Internet.
C. From people, they met in Rotorua.
D. From a travel agent.
Complete the sentences using NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS OR NUMBERS.
14. Altogether, the number of people in the speaker’s holiday group was__________________
15. One of the children from the other family was a ____________________than the speaker.
16. Before leaving, the speaker and his family got information from the Internet and a_______________.
Answer the following questions using NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS.
17. What did the speaker especially like about the holiday?
18. Where were the children most of the time?
19. How does the speaker describe the people at the resort?
20. Which activities didn’t the speaker participate in, even though those activities were available?
Also check: IELTS Listening tips
Complete the notes on what Mika says at the beginning of the discussion.
Mika says that if you miss what other people in a seminar say, it makes it hard to 21________________ the discussion. She might have a 22_______________ if she didn’t understand what, a tutor was asking her, but if she was wrong it was 23_______________.
Complete the sentences using NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS.
24. Martina says that native speaker students often continue talking even if non-native speaker students like her,______________.
25. However, she points out that native speaker students will usually stop talking if you_____________.
26. She says that non-native speaker students need to anticipate and_________________in order to get involved in seminar discussions.
27. Michal points out that non-native speaker students can use_______________and body language to indicate when they are ready to add to a discussion.
Choose the correct answer or answers to complete each sentence.
28. Martina thinks that non-native speaker students can improve the situation by being
29. Mika thinks that non-native speakers can improve
A. both their English and their subject knowledge quickly.
B. their English knowledge quickly, but not their subject knowledge.
C. their subject knowledge quickly, but not their English.
D. neither their English nor their subject knowledge quickly.
30. Mika says that
A. English students know a lot of technical terminologies.
B. English students like making friends with her outside seminars.
C English students are interested in learning about situations in foreign countries.
D. non-native speaker students shouldn’t take much time to state their views.
Complete the following summary of the lecturer’s introduction by using NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS.
The lecturer says that he will first look at how some cultural values influence 31______________ and that then he will 32________________ demonstrating that approaches to learning in one culture may not be considered suitable in others.
Complete the notes on the way students learn in different cultures. Use only ONE word for each answer.
|33_______________||Arab culture||34____________ of the Koran influences how other subjects are learnt.|
|Chinese culture||Little or no talking or 35______________ with other students or culture teachers.|
|extending||American culture||Focus on develo ping 36_____36_____________________ skills through questioning, for example.|
Complete the notes on three Asian students and their experiences. Use NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS.
|Country of origin||Level of study||Experience of their own education system|
|China||37____________||Students contribute little to discussions.
Students 38__________ to ask lectures questions.
|Japan||Master||Less focus on Constructing 39___________|
|India||research||40____________ are responsible for providing information about facilities and requirements.|
5. 35c Campus Lane
7. 200-250/200 to 250
15. year older
16. travel agency
17. (the) accommodation/hotel
18. (in/the/some) play areas
19. gentle, warm, helpful
20. basketball (and) volleyball
21. catch up with
23. (quite) embarrassing
24. raise a hand
25. (just) interrupt (someone)
26. think quickly
27. eye contact
28. IN EITHER ORDER C, D
30. IN EITHER ORDER C, D
31. teaching and learning
32. present evidence
39. logical arguments
40. Lecturers) or (and) supervisors)
Continue with…Test 84