Nerves Of Steel – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS Writing and Speaking
Definition: great patience and courage; if someone has nerves of steel, they are very brave
- That woman has nerves of steel, considering the fact that she has shown up at work today after almost getting kidnapped last night.
- We were all scared out of our mind while watching “The Ring” and then there was Steve, who got nerves of steel, nonchalantly smirking at us like he thought it was funny.
- You have got to have nerves of steel to stand up for Richard while he was wrongly treated because of his minor mistake.
Fill in the blank:
One must have nerves of steel to …………….
- go sky-diving.
- solve the puzzle.
- participate in a marathon.
Describe an adventurous person you know.
I am considered myself a travel enthusiast with utter eager to learn and experience the diversity of culture and nature around the world, which is why I always get excited when meeting people with the same interest as mine. Sebastian, whom I encountered during my trip to Thailand, was definitely one of the most intriguing people I’ve ever known. We shared stories over dinner and Sebastian is a down to earth guy with a witty sense of humor that made him a great company.
Just like any typical young soul, Sebastian is motivated with a burning hunger to discover other parts of the world rather than only Europe, where he was born, itself. He’s been travelling as much as he can and to many awe-inspiring places that I can’t help feeling envious of. The thing I like best about his journeys is that not only did he appreciate the view and beauty of the lands, but he clearly immersed himself in their customs and lifestyles as well. Living with the locals, picking up some languages and trying local cuisines were how he managed to enjoy the most authentic and transforming experience everywhere he went. And of course, a true adventure couldn’t be complete without some sort of adrenaline-boosting activities. Sebastian is a big fan of extreme sports and hardly passes any chance to challenge himself. I realized the man has got to have nerves of steel to find paragliding and bungee jumping “fun and relaxing”. Even though we haven’t had a chance to see each other again, we still keep in touch and correspond via email. I hope that we will reunite somewhere and share a good conversation again in the near future.
- Enthusiast (n): a person who is very interested in something and spends a lot of time doing it
- Diversity (n): a range of many people or things that are very different from each other
- Encounter (v): to meet somebody, or discover or experience something, especially somebody/something new, unusual or unexpected
- Intriguing (a): very interesting because of being unusual or not having an obvious answer
- Down to earth (a): sensible and practical, in a way that is helpful and friendly
- Sense of humor (n): the ability to perceive humor or appreciate a joke
- Awe-inspiring (a): impressive; making you feel respect and admiration
- Immerse (v): to become or make somebody completely involved in something
- Cuisine (n): a style of cooking
- Authentic (a): true and accurate
- Adrenaline-boosting (a): thrilling
- Paragliding (n): a sport in which you wear a special structure like a parachute, jump from a high place and are carried along by the wind before coming down to earth
- Bungee jumping (n): a sport in which a person jumps from a high place, such as a bridge or a cliff, with a bungee tied to their feet
- Keep in touch: to know what is happening in a particular subject or area
- Correspond (v): to write letters to somebody and receive letters from them
- Reunite (v): to join together again separate areas or separate groups within an organization, a political party, etc.; to come together again
Latest posts by Alessa (see all)
- State-Of-The-Art – Word Of The Day For IELTS - April 27, 2017
- Aggravate – Word Of The Day For IELTS Speaking & Writing - March 17, 2017
- Bring Something To Bear – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS - March 17, 2017
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!