Take The Wind Out Of Someone’s Sails – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS Speaking.
- 10 Useful Idioms for the IELTS Speaking Test
- Common Idioms to Boost Your IELTS Score – Topic: Authority and control
- Common Idioms to Boost Your IELTS Score – Topic : Fear and Frustration
- Common Idioms to Boost Your IELTS Score – Topic: Health, illness, and death
- Common Idioms to Boost Your IELTS Score – Topic : Deception
made someone feel less confident or less determined to do something, by saying or doing something unexpected (If there is no wind in a boat’s sails, then it is unable to moves)
“John was bragging about how much money he earned until he learned that most of us make more. That took the wind out of his sails.“
“I was all ready to tell him that the relationship was over when he greeted me with a big bunch of flowers – that took the wind out of my sails.”
“Learning that one has been totally wrong about something can really take the wind out of one’s sails.”
- Choose the suitable idiom to complete the sentence below.
“Sally was keen to become an actor, but her teacher’s criticism of her performance _______________.”
A. lived out of a suitcase
B. took the wind of her sails
C. upset the applecart
D. was on thin ice
- Describe the time when you overcame the fear . Try to use this idiom in your speech. You should say:
– When it happened
– Where it happened
– What you overcame
And explain why you feel fear it
Latest posts by Huy Quoc (see all)
- English Collocations in Use – Intermediate (Ebook) - May 26, 2017
- Fall From Grace – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS - February 7, 2017
- Stir Up A Hornet’s Nest – Idiom Of The Day For IELTS - February 5, 2017
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!