Appease – Word Of The Day For IELTS Speaking And Writing
Appease: (Verb) /əˈpiːz/
to make someone less angry or stop them from attacking you by giving them what they want
Allay, Alleviate, Pacify
With verb: Attempt to appease
For IELTS Speaking:.
“This was a clever attempt to appease the people, but it backfired.”
“When Jerry cries, his mother gives him chocolate to appease him”
For IELTS Writing:
“Human rights activists accuse the United Nations of appeasing the militia.”
Choose the following words to fill in the blank: overlapped, scenarios, refinements, temporary, confine, appease, ceaselessly, mediate, analogies, inherent.
- He is very traditional in his thinking and believes that women should __________ themselves to housework and child-raising.
- The human body __________ adapts to the constant changes that take place in its environment.
- ESL students often try to draw __________ between English and their mother tongue, but it is not always possible.
- Stress is an __________ part of life, with both positive and negative consequences.
- The bike path is closed for a __________ period so that repairs can be made to the asphalt.
- Of a burning hunger that only she could __________.
- The Smiths used a marriage counsellor to __________ their separation and were able to settle things without any major problems.
- Scientists are studying various abrupt climate change __________ to assess their impact on our planet.
- The two programs __________, so students in the first program had to miss the first few days of classes in the second program because of final exams.
- Recent __________ to the software appear to have removed the bugs that were causing problems.
Check out Vocabulary for IELTS Speaking & Writing on IELTS Material website to improve your vocabulary for IELTS and get a high score in IELTS.