IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Travel & Festival
1. Do you like traveling?
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic with Band 9 Sample – Topic: Social Network
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic with Model Answer – Topic: Driving
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Island with Sample Answers
Not really actually! I’m more of a creature of habit (someone who doesn’t like changes to routine), so I’m usually not keen to change my daily routine. When I change it up, I often feel anxious and disoriented (not a clear mind). Furthermore, I have a fear or airplanes and get carsick, so traveling just isn’t for me.
2. Do you often travel by air?
Not at all! I try to avoid it at all costs (very seriously). If I must travel, I will take some motion sickness (getting sick from any kind of transportation) medicine and go by car or train. I was once on an airplane on my honeymoon that came very near to crashing, so my phobia (strong fear) stems from (comes from. Stem is the part where the flower grows) this.
3. How long was the longest trip you took?
I once had to go on business to the Philippines. It was a 24 hour flight! It was a nightmare (we saw this when something is very terrible). On top of this, I was seated next to a child who was relentlessly (not stopping) crying during the entire journey.
4. Which country would you like to travel to in the future?
I’m dying to (I really want to) go to Egypt. I’ve always dreamt of going there since I was a child, actually. I’m really fascinated by their ancient culture. I would be in awe of (amazed by) the Grand Pyramids I’m sure. Unfortunately, since I despise (hate) flying, I dont think I’ll ever get there.
5. Would you like to travel to space?
Perhaps! I’m not sure how it feels to be in a rocket. I think it would be incredible to see a completely foreign galaxy (another world). I’m curious if other life forms (aliens) exist, so I would definitely go along on this journey to find out for myself. I also wonder if the moon is made out of cheese!
6. What is your favorite festival?
Hmm, that’s a tough question because I’m definitely a holiday person (a person who likes holidays), but I would have to say New Years Eve. I’m always keen (want) for change and new beginnings, so I love setting new goals at the start of each new year, not to mention I really enjoy the parties. Second to this would be Valentine’s Day, since I’m a hopeless romantic (a very romantic person).
7. How do you celebrate the festival?
In my culture, it’s more very family-oriented holiday. We usually have a special family dinner at home followed by the countdown to midnight. However, in my culture we add something special to it. At the clock ticks down to midnight, we eat 12 grapes which signify a different wish for each month. After this, we go out to the city or town streets to drink with our friends and wish them a happy new year.
8. What is the most popular festival in your country?
Definitely Christmas, since I’m from a Catholic country. Nearly every town and city goes out of the way to deck (decorate) the streets out with Christmas lights and decorations. However, unlike other countries, we celebrate the epiphany, or day of the three wise men, on January 6 just as much at the 25th. This is the day in which we exchange gifts and watch parades.
9. Do you like western festivals?
Of course! They are part of my culture. I especially love Christmas, Easter, and New Years since they have always been part of my upbringing (childhood). However, I also find eastern festivals interesting. I lived in Vietnam for 2 years, and I was in awe (amazed) of the Lunar New Year and Mid-Autumn festival.
10. Where do people usually go during festivals?
Between homes and the streets. We hold meals in our homes for the holidays, as we value home-cooked meals. However, we are people who enjoy going out, so we often go out to celebrate at bars or even in the streets. For example, the Christmas Eve celebration entails going to a bar with friends until the wee hours (early hours) of the morning, followed by a family lunch the next day.
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!