Commemorate – Word Of The Day For IELTS
Commemorate – Word Of The Day For IELTS Speaking And Writing
Commemorate /kəˈmeməreɪt/ (Verb)
to do something to show that you remember and respect someone important or an important event in the past
Memorialize, Remember, Celebrate
- With noun: Anniversary, Day, Death, Event, Plaque, Victory
- The idea of making a special flower picture to commemorate a particular wedding anniversary works very well.
- It was a scream which one day they will commemorate with a plaque, and people will walk past it and remember.
- A lurid tattoo on his thigh commemorated his victory.
Try to use this word “commemorate” in your speech
IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topic
Describe a historical event in your country
You should say
- What it was & When it happened
- What happened
- Who the most important people involved were
- Why it is important to the history of your country
Vietnam has over 4000 years of history so I guess it’s fair to say that we’ve witnessed numerous historical events over the years. But I would like to tell you about an event that is arguably the most historically significant in my country – The Independence Day. It happened on 2 Sept 1945. Today, we call it the Nation Day, which is a national holiday, observed on 2 Sept every year.
On the Independence Day, at Ba Dinh Square Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh, the then leader of our political party, delivered the Vietnam Proclamation of Independence in front of thousands of Vietnamese citizens, declaring our independence from Japan and France, announcing the birth of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, and celebrating our nationhood.
This event is particularly meaningful not only because it was an important milestone marking a major turning point of Vietnam – the beginning of a period with full sovereignty, but also because, for the first time, Vietnamese knew about human rights, equality and liberty.
Today, to commemorate the historical value of the event, Vietnamese have a day off from work and the country is filled with a joyous atmosphere. There are several events such as marching, fireworks in major cities in the country as well.
- fully sovereignty: complete freedom and power to govern
Post your Comments