Commemorate – Word Of The Day For IELTS Speaking And Writing
Commemorate /kəˈmeməreɪt/ (Verb)
- Improve Your Vocabulary in IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: promise
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Belief
- Boost Your IELTS Score with Collocations – Key Word: report
to do something to show that you remember and respect someone important or an important event in the past
Memorialize, Remember, Celebrate
- With noun: Anniversary, Day, Death, Event, Plaque, Victory
- The idea of making a special flower picture to commemorate a particular wedding anniversary works very well.
- It was a scream which one day they will commemorate with a plaque, and people will walk past it and remember.
- A lurid tattoo on his thigh commemorated his victory.
Try to use this word “commemorate” in your speech
IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topic
Describe a historical event in your country
You should say
- What it was & When it happened
- What happened
- Who the most important people involved were
- Why it is important to the history of your country
Vietnam has over 4000 years of history so I guess it’s fair to say that we’ve witnessed numerous historical events over the years. But I would like to tell you about an event that is arguably the most historically significant in my country – The Independence Day. It happened on 2 Sept 1945. Today, we call it the Nation Day, which is a national holiday, observed on 2 Sept every year.
On the Independence Day, at Ba Dinh Square Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh, the then leader of our political party, delivered the Vietnam Proclamation of Independence in front of thousands of Vietnamese citizens, declaring our independence from Japan and France, announcing the birth of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, and celebrating our nationhood.
This event is particularly meaningful not only because it was an important milestone marking a major turning point of Vietnam – the beginning of a period with full sovereignty, but also because, for the first time, Vietnamese knew about human rights, equality and liberty.
Today, to commemorate the historical value of the event, Vietnamese have a day off from work and the country is filled with a joyous atmosphere. There are several events such as marching, fireworks in major cities in the country as well.
- fully sovereignty: complete freedom and power to govern
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!