Put one’s cards on the table – Idiom of the Day for IELTS Speaking
Be open and honest about your feelings and intentions
- I thought it was time I laid my cards on the table, so I told her that I had no intention of being her lover.
- I think we should lay our cards on the table and speak very candidly about this matter.
- Match the idioms in column A with their meanings in column B.
1. sweeten the deal a. to risk everything to get something in return
2. rock-bottom b. to add something to an offer to make it more attractive
3. put one’s cards on the table c. use one’s best resources
4. play its ace d. to be honest and transparent in negotiations
5. go for broke e. the lowest price that a negotiating party is willing to give for something
- Make sentences using the learned idiom and write it down in the comment box below
Latest posts by IELTS Material (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!