In the Listening Test 89, you will hear 4 audio recordings and answer questions 1-40.
Section 1 is a conversation between a student and a salesman.
Section 2 is an introductory speech about a university.
Section 3 is a discussion on the characteristics of a good teacher and a good learner.
Section 4 is a presentation on writing an academic essay.
- 1 Section 1
- 2 Section 2
- 3 Section 3
- 4 Section 4
- 5 Answers
Choose the correct answer A, B, C or D
1. Thieves often target students’ homes because students
A. are often in classes.
B. often have high-value, portable items.
C. are wealthier than other young people.
D. don’t usually lock campus accommodation.
2. If personal items are lost, destroyed or damaged, the insurance company will usually
A. allow the student to buy a similar replacement item at the current cost
B. give the student the sum of money the item originally cost.
C. give the student a fixed amount.
D. get the money from the thief.
Decide whether the following are insured for up to.
3. a computer
4. two musical instruments
5. ten computer games
6. three suits
Complete the following sentences using NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS for each answer.
7. Academic ________________ are insured up to £5000.
8. The ___________________ is valid until the end of June.
9. The insurance company has a 24 _________________________.
10. The insurance company’s office is usually open until ______________________.
Answer the following questions using NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS OR NUMBERS for each.
11. What percentage of the students are mature?
12. What percentage of the students are from abroad?
13. How are the suburbs described?
14. How many students does the university have?
Complete the following sentences using NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS for each gap.
15. Newtown is England’s __________________ city.
16. The ____________________ is at Salt Lane.
17. A relatively high proportion of students decide to ______________________ in Newtown after graduating.
Complete the notes on using the university accommodation services using NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS for each answer.
18. The university accommodation services office is in the _________________________.
19. The university accommodation services have a ______________________ that students can look through online.
20. The website also has responses to ________________________.
Complete the notes about what makes a good teacher using NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS for each gap.
|good communicator with interesting 21………………………|
knows their students’ 22……………………… and interests.
be 23……………………… and familiar with the subject at both current and previous levels
takes students to step by step honest and 24………………………
25……………………… to set an example and to look professional.
Complete the notes about what makes a good student using NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS for each gap.
active-e.g. asks questions to aid understanding or for 26__________________ motivated – has goals
disciplined-good behavior and maintains 27__________________ reviews and previews
finds reasons to do things rather than reasons not to do things realizes learning is not always linear and/or immediate
doesn’t 28__________________ with more experience of life/education
doesn’t 29__________________ teachers for his/her own faults-accepts suggestions
make studying 30__________________
Also check : IELTS Listening tips
Complete the following sentences using NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS.
31. The lecturer says that an essay is like ____________ to a specific question.
32. A key thing for lecturers to consider when they mark an essay is whether it is _____________.
Complete the notes on the words used in the essay title using NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS for each answer.
|Implications||ideas following on from the 33_______________ for rising divorce|
|Phenomenon||refers to rising divorce|
|different explanations||suggests that various 34_______________ have thought of different reasons for the phenomenon.|
|critically analyze||35_______________ of a theory, a policy, research, an argument|
|36______________||a term which limits the subject to a place|
|the last 20 years||a term which limits the subject to a time|
Decide which student or students (A, B or C) would do or write the following.
37. Look at divorce statistics.
38. Assess the views of sociologists.
39. Use interviews to gather information.
40. Consider the effects of divorce on children.
7. (course) fees
8. special introductory rate
9. hour helpline
10. 5 (o’clock)
16. third campus
17. live and work
18. Student Union Building
19. private housing database
20. frequently asked questions
22. make friends
23. current and previous
25. dress(es) tidily
27. study routine
28. criticize teachers
31. an extended answer
35. assess the value
36. Western countries
37. A, C
Continue with…Test 90