Momentous – Word Of The Day For IELTS Speaking And Writing
Momentous – /məʊˈmentəs/ (Adjective)
A momentous event, change, or decision is very important because it will have a great influence on the future.
Essential, Vital, Crucial, Key, Important
- Noun: Moment, momentum
- Adjective: Momentary, Momentous
- Adverb: Momentarily
- Noun: momentous change/ decision/ event/ occasion
- In the physical sciences alone, there were momentous changes
- We stand on the brink of two momentous decisions at Maastricht.
- All were momentous events that will never be forgotten, least of all by the men and women who fought in them.
- His colleagues’ all recognised that this was a momentous occasion.
Try to use the word “momentous” in your speech
Describe a photo of yourself that you had taken
You should say:
- When the photo was taken
- How this photograph was taken
- Where the photo was taken
- Who took the photo
- And explain why the photo was taken or why you think it is a good photo
Today, I would like to describe a photo of myself that I had taken by my friend. Honestly, I am not a person who like posing for pictures and I only do so on momentous occasions. That photo was taken at my university with my extended family last year during the graduation ceremony, you know, and it was special because it was one of the best family moments in our lives.
When I graduated from university, my whole family – that is my grandparents, my parents and a lot of my siblings – brothers and sisters – came to celebrate the day with me. Everyone was extremely cheerful and really proud of me. I remembered that we had not had a family get-together for ages, so I came up with the idea of taking a photo together in order to save our memorable day on film.
The House of Culture in my university was the place that we chose to take this photo. I asked one of my classmates to help us to capture that moment. He was really good at photography and so I had total confidence in him. He put everyone at their ease, so it was really a wonderful photo because there were brilliant smiles from all the members of our whole family group.
Whenever I look back at that photo, I feel very emotional and happy because it not only marked a major turning-point in my life, but it was also a valuable opportunity for my extended family to strengthen our relationship. I think sometimes it is necessary for us to capture moments and save them as notable memories in our lives.
- Extended family: [noun] a family group that includes not only children and parents but also uncles, aunts, grandparents, cousins….
- Get-together: [noun] an informal meeting or party
- for ages: [expression] for a long time
- put ……. at their ease: [expression] make someone relaxed, so they do not feel nervous or embarrassed.
- turning-point: [noun] a time when an important change takes place, usually with the result that a situation improves.
- notable: [adjective] important and deserving to receive attention