Nostalgic – Word Of The Day For IELTS Writing & Speaking
Nostalgic /nɑːˈstældʒɪk/ (a): having or bringing a feeling of sadness mixed with pleasure and affection when you think of happy times in the past
Synonyms: evocative, wistful
Antonyms: forgetful, oblivious
- My family has moved to our new place in the nearby town for over a year now, yet, every time I have to run some errands in our old own neighborhood, it always brings back memories that gives me nostalgic
- They all take a nostalgic look at a 200-year-old mansion which is going to be torn down for a luxury residential apartment building.
Nostalgic in IELTS Writing & Speaking
Has your hometown changed much since you were a child?
I reckon that there is hardly anything that has stayed the same in the last few years. I have moved to the city to pursue higher education for over two years and almost didn’t recognize the way to my home due to the town’s significant changes. Many luxury properties have been constructed and leading brand names in food and beverages, fashion and high-tech starting to dominate local market. Even though it would be considered a positive impact on the town’s development, I can’t help but feel all nostalgic for our old picturesque and tranquil town which once held most of our childhood memories.
- Reckon (v): to think something or have an opinion about something
- Pursue (v): to do something or try to achieve something over a period of time
- Significant (a): large or important enough to have an effect or to be noticed
- Property (n): land and buildings
- Construct (v): to build or make something such as a road, building or machine
- Leading (a): most important or most successful
- Dominate (v): to be the largest, highest or most obvious thing in a place
- Picturesque (a): pretty, especially in a way that looks old-fashioned
- Tranquil (a): quiet and peaceful